General — TransplantLyfe

General

Envarsus (or Tacro) and Eating Breakfast

ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient
November 30, 2022 in General

When I first had my transplant, I didn't pay attention to the eating instructions on the medication bottles and I'd eat breakfast, a lot of times while I was taking my morning meds. About a year in, I saw you're supposed to take Envarsus on an empty stomach, so I started eating an hour after taking my meds.

Do you do this too? Did your medical team mention it to you? Mine didn't and I'm wondering if it really makes that much of a difference.

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Replies

• We are 6 years out on transplant and my son has always taken his meds in the morning with a big cup of milk. Some days he prefers a big breakfast and other times not. But honestly, and maybe I should hang my head on this one, I had no idea we were supposed to wait. What we have been doing has been working for him so I don't see a reason to change it.

December 5, 2022
  • DebTransplant Patient

I find that if I don’t eat my Tacrolimus upsets my stomach some but I do suffer from acid reflux too so it may just be me!!

December 5, 2022
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

I agree! Don't mess with what's already working!

December 5, 2022

That's interesting. Do you take prilosec for the acid reflux? I did for the first couple years, but the acid reflux has finally gotten better!

December 5, 2022
  • DebTransplant Patient

I do take Prilosec and it helps. I take it every other day. I’m not quite 3 years post transplant.

December 6, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Deb & @Shelbycreates - a lot of times transplant recipients are prescribed drugs like Prilosec/Omeprazole/pantaprazole because of known side-effects like reflux etc. I take 20mg daily.

I strongly believe that tx patients should be fully educated about how & when to consume their meds. We should all consult the expert/pharmacologist on the team so that they can explain things in plain English. Timing does indeed matter.

December 6, 2022

Yes, my doctors never talked to me about when to plan eating versus taking meds. I only saw it when other patients were posting about it on a forum, so then I changed my eating.

December 7, 2022
  • brookegurradExpert
    Transplant Patient

My team told me to eat or not eat, but either way, be consistent. I tend to not eat because I'm not a morning person and the thought of having to consume food when I wake up makes me nauseous. I am also on acid reflux meds and have been for the entire 17 years since my liver transplant.

December 12, 2022

Thanks for your point of view. I love hearing more about how everyone handles medication. Thanks!!

December 13, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

When I was on cellcept I noticed slight nausea if I didn't eat with my meds. Now I'm just on tac (advagraf) and don't really notice any side effects if I don't take it with food. Like @brookegurrad said I try to be more consistent with timing, and less worried about if I eat right away. I'm sure there's a lot more to it than that, but if the meds are taken relatively on schedule I consider it a good day.

December 13, 2022
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

👍totally ..

December 13, 2022