General — TransplantLyfe

General

6 year transplant visit

December 5, 2022 in General

My son has his 6 year post transplant annual visit tomorrow. I try to downplay this as just another day at the doctor type visit. We had a rough 5th year of transplant with a botched biopsy that led to an absess on his liver and 8 hospital stays over a 7 month period of time. Tomorrows visit includes labs, an MRI and a visit with the doctor. I am hopeful for good news but also scared to see what they find going on in his little body.

What do you do to try to live in the moment and not worry about something that is out of your control?

And, what do you do to occupy a 6 year old during an MRI? Has anyone been able to watch a movie during one of those?

Tagged:

1 - 2 of 2 Other Answers

• ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

Hi @authenticallyapril I can't help you on the 6yo MRI problem, but I feel you on the worry! Things that work for me are focusing on connecting with my breath and telling myself mantras like "I'm right here, right now." I also do things to celebrate after big appointments. My transplant center is where we used to live, so I plan to meet up with old friends afterward to have something to look forward to.

I remind myself that worry is an emotion and that it's safe for me to FEEL the emotion of worry. The sensation doesn't mean that the worst-case scenario is happening.

I pray your little guy does well tomorrow!! I had a follow-up appointment in Cincinnati tomorrow for an oral maxillofacial surgery I had last year, but my authorization had expired, so I had to reschedule.

I hope everything runs smoothly for you both!!

December 5, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@authenticallyapril - best of luck to your son (& to you & your family) - we're all routing for all of you. It will be an awesome annual visit!

Sending positive vibes and prayers so that everything will go smoothly. Please do provide updates about the young warrior, whenever you're able to.

December 6, 2022