General — TransplantLyfe

General

How have you given back?

January 5, 2023 in General

After my sons transplant we were so thankful with the outcome that we wanted to give back to the hospital that gave him new life.

We donated to The American Liver Foundation, we gave individually to kids in the COTA program, we have organized gift and blanket drives around the holidays and well as donated cards. I just wonder if there is some bigger thing I should be doing.

Sometimes it feels small and insignificant. Especially since my kid is alive and thriving. So that leads me to my question about, how have you given back to the center that gave you new life to further research and better outcomes for all in the transplant world? Is it important to do that or is it more important to spread the news of transplantation?

What are your thoughts?

1 - 15 of 15 Other Answers

• Denise_RTransplant Patient

Hi April!

First of all, I am so happy for you and your son upon receiving his liver transplant! The gift of life is huge, especially for our kids.

And gosh, I totally understand the feeling to give back, sometimes it feels like a need to give back. I started a nonprofit to help solve some of the financial inequities in the system.

But please don't think you "owe" some service or duty back. Your son living his life and you all thriving as a family is a huge thing that gives back and inspires the community. That being said, I healed a lot from my adventure with transplant by giving back to this community I found myself in. I got out of my own head and learned more about the needs of transplant patients, both pediatric and adult. It's given me more than I've given it.

I'd be happy to chat more about giving back if you're interested.

January 6, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

I myself am very interested in how I could do something for my LTP team too. Just not sure how.

please share😊😊 2 yrs. LTP

January 6, 2023

Hi! I'm a big fan of giving back - it's been truly healing for me as a heart transplant recipient. I think the first step is to find the small segment of tx that you are passionate about. For me, it was post-transplant housing. Don't overthink it, don't make it too broad. Your second step is to research. Are there any other nonprofits or individuals that are doing what you are passionate about? Talk to them, join them. If you can't find anyone doing what you want to, then start thinking about how you want to accomplish your goals. If you're wondering how to figure out what you're passionate about - think about your own tx adventure. What/where/when did you see a need or wish you had support that you couldn't find elsewhere? Start there! And happy to answer any questions along the way!

January 6, 2023

Hi! I'm a big fan of giving back - it's been truly healing for me as a heart transplant recipient. I think the first step is to find the small segment of tx that you are passionate about. For me, it was post-transplant housing. Don't overthink it, don't make it too broad. Your second step is to research. Are there any other nonprofits or individuals that are doing what you are passionate about? Talk to them, join them. If you can't find anyone doing what you want to, then start thinking about how you want to accomplish your goals. If you're wondering how to figure out what you're passionate about - think about your own tx adventure. What/where/when did you see a need or wish you had support that you couldn't find elsewhere? Start there! And happy to answer any questions along the way!

January 6, 2023
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

Wow. You all amaze and impress me! I think my biggest “give back” is in advocacy for those who have received or are getting close to needing a transplant. I talk a lot about my health journey in my Instagram account and I have a lot of people with kidney disease messaging me. I’m able to be really honest about my experience while offering hope for a better future. So my giving back is more with the emotional health side of things for kidney disease patients.

I ran the Cleveland Rock-n-Roll hall of fame triathlon last year in honor of my recipient.

I also want me reach to be further, so I’m looking for more things that I can be involved in to help the transplant community—like being a part of the TransplantLyfe forum too!

I’m looking forward to hearing more ideas from other people as well. Housing post transplant is a huge concern and I’d love to do more to help with that cause too!

January 6, 2023

Hey Shelby!

You're doing amazing work - I see you! And I'd love to have your amplification help with the housing needs of transplant patients! Together we can create little miracles!

January 7, 2023
  • Denise, this is fabulous and of course I'd love to hear more about it.

January 8, 2023

Happy to! Reach out through our website - heartfelthelpfoundation.com and we can chat!

January 8, 2023
  • @Denise_R I read through the comments. Such good suggestions. And I agree, finding the avenue you are most passionate about will bring about amazing blessigs and benefits to the tx community at large.

I personally have a tender spot for families with children with transplants.

January 8, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Thank you..

January 8, 2023

That' s a beautiful spot to serve. Our foundation's patient population is 100% pediatric right now and it's an underserved area for sure. Grateful for the healing that giving back brings along with it.

January 8, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I find this so interesting. On paper, it looks like I do give back all the time. I work in transplant advocacy, I work with my transplant centre on projects, I'm really involved in the transplant community as a whole. And none of it ever came from a desire to give back. If anything I feel like it came from more of a selfish place of I needed a place to be understood, I needed to tell my story, I needed to understand. And it has flowed into also creating that for others but it never started that way. I never felt like I had to give back, and still wouldn't do something for the sake of giving back.

My favourite way of saying it is that I just try to live my life like a human thank you. Who I am is a gift to my community, who I am honours the legacy of my donor and my transplant team, it's not something that I consciously do. and that works for me

January 9, 2023
  • brookegurradExpert
    Transplant Patient

Giving back is valuable and important. When I feel like I'm "supposed to" do something or "obligated" to do it, I start to buck the system. It's something I've learned about myself over time.

In some ways, I connect with that @AliEm14 wrote about giving back as being selfish, though perhaps I'd challenge that language and simply call it self-preservation.

I work in transplant spaces and coach people with chronic illness. Why? Because I value the support and community I received and don't want anyone to feel alone on this journey.

January 9, 2023

Hi Friend!

For me, I think we're saying the same thing. I don't feel a need to give back as some sort of payment for this second chance, you know? I 'm like you - I want to be understood. I want the needs of transplant patients to be understood. I want to be the person that I so desperately needed and didn't have five years ago. For me, that looks like Heartfelt Help Foundation. It helped me heal and lead me to a passion project that means the world to me. It's how I human well. That's going to look different to everyone. I don't believe that you have to do (whatever) to honor (I like the Canadian spelling better) honour your donor. Your life does that all by itself. I kinda think we're saying the same thing just from different angles - which is what makes life beautiful!

January 9, 2023