Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Native kidneys functioning

clydie53Transplant Patient
January 9, 2023 in Kidney

Can anyone give me an explanation as to why native kidneys stop functioning after kidney transplant. My GFR was hovering between 21 & 20 for almost 2 years before transplant (no dialysis) so although diseased (FSG,) my kidneys were still working (i.e. filtering.) I was told the native kidneys would stop working/atrophy, but why? I am almost 5 months post Tx and my GFR is low 30's. Thanks!

TransplantLyfe Favorite

• ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

For me, I had delayed graft function and my kidney function got worse post transplant than before (I was also pre-emptive and GFR around 14-19). The transplant meds we take are nephrotoxic, so my native kidneys got way worse after the transplant because the meds were damaging them and the new kidney wasn’t working yet. About 7 weeks post transplant my new kidney started working. My GFR returned to 30s-40s. I’m 4 1/2 years out from my transplant and doing well. I hope sharing my experience can help!

January 10, 2023

1 - 3 of 3 Other Answers

• This is beyond my realm of expertise but Shelby's response with the transplant meds working through the kidneys makes sense. Anyone have any additional insights? I would love to hear them.

January 15, 2023
  • HRB52Transplant Patient

My kidneys had quit functioning completely and I was on dialysis. My donor had passed the night of my surgery so my kidney was deceased but fresh. My surgeon told me when he unclamped the artery the kidney begin filtering immediately.

February 6, 2023