Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Kidney stones post transplant

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
January 17, 2023 in Kidney

I had a liver transplant 2.5 years ago, my kidney function has been fine, but recently I ended up with a kidney infection and kidney stones that landed me in the ER.

I'm on antibiotics, everything is being taken care of, but I'm curious if there is any link between kidney infections/kidney stones and immunosuppressive medication. I know kidney function is affected, even in non kidney transplant recipients, and when I talked to my transplant team they didn't seem overly surprised I had a kidney infection (especially considering the increased infection risk of being post transplant). I feel like everything is connected but I'm still trying to connect the dots.

Anyone else have experience with this? Or can point me in the direction of some medical journals/more information?

1 - 1 of 1 Replies

• ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

@AliEm14 I'm so sorry!! I haven't experienced kidney infections or kidney stones post-transplant, so I don't feel really helpful. I do know that one of my potential donors was ruled out because he had a history of kidney stones. I hope you recover quickly! That sounds terrible.

January 18, 2023