General — TransplantLyfe

General

Oral abscess

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
January 21, 2023 in General

Warning everyone / if you have a bad feeling in your moth don’t take your dentist word for it being “ok”. Dig deeper and believe in your gut feeling - I have just gone through a horrific week of four dental procedures over ten hours in the chair and close to 10 k out of pocket! And I am now without two teeth and need two implants….

1 - 5 of 5 Replies

• Oh @Karin I am so sorry to hear this. What a pain - literally.

Question, does your transplant team get you on antibiotics before any dental procedures?

My sons dentist won't do any work without the OK from his transplant team, but they want to talk directly with the team not through me.

January 23, 2023
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

oh no, @Karin . I am so sorry to hear this!! Mouth/Dental pain is the worst. I have a very high pain tolerance. (I didn't use any pain meds post-transplant, except when the nursing staff STRONGLY encouraged me to use the pain pump before walks) however, when it comes to mouth / dental pain... all bets are off. pure misery. I am so sorry to hear all that you went through! My husband has an implant on his front tooth. It was quite the process to go through for him. He also had to get a bone graft there as well. I hope your implants go smoothly.

January 23, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

yes - terrible pain and even worse is the malpractice conducted by several dentists who first placed the initial post wrongly and then added a bridge on top of an infection! Both dentists should lose their licenses but that is not my goal here. My goal is to get better and to never again trust a mere X-ray but to always ask for 3D pics of my mouth if I sense something is wrong!

January 23, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I've never been on antibiotics for any of my dental procedures. I was warned about potentially running into issues with fluoride, so I avoid that. I am in Canada though and I've heard we do things very differently here.

January 23, 2023
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

So very sorry to hear about this situation, @Karin . It sounds like there was gross neglect by some of the dentists who were caring for you. Hopefully, the situation has now been completely rectified & you won't need to sit on one of those chairs for a long time to come!

Thank you for sharing about your experience & for the great tips too! This is how we in the community learn. (from each other).

Take care.

January 24, 2023