General — TransplantLyfe

General

🌟 Feb 28th is Rare Disease Day! 🌟

Sdey0522Transplant Patient
Updated January 24, 2023 in General

Did you have (do you have) a rare disease? Share your stories and raise awareness! #MoreYouKnow #ShareYourStripes

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I do! I was transplanted for Glycogen Storage Disease, which is a rare disease where the liver is missing the enzyme needed to turn glycogen into glucose. My transplanted liver obviously has that enzyme, so i’m no longer symptomatic but I am still considered as having glycogen storage disease, just treated through transplantation

January 24, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Congratulations to you. So glad u r doing well. So many liver diseases that transplant can indeed help. So interesting.

January 24, 2023
  • Well, I don't have a rare disease but my son does. That's what led to us being a part of the liver transplant world. He was born with Biliary Atresia which basically means he was born without a functioning liver that only became worse after birth, shrivaling up his gall bladder and leading to the bile not being able to drain from his liver. It's so sad to see those little guys have to fight through illness and disease so early in life.

January 26, 2023