Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Paired Kidney Exchange

fern22Transplant Patient
Updated January 26, 2023 in Kidney

My potential donor wasnt a match for me but he still wants to donate. I just got news that im officially on the national kidney registry for a paired kidney exchange program. The person who was trying to be my donor, is donating to a stranger on Feb 16th. My nurses at my dialysis clinic said it is common for the recipient (which would be me in this case) to get a call about 2-3 months after their "potential donor" donated to the stranger.

Has anyone been part of an exchange? How long did it take to close the chain link and get the call? Im getting so nervous but also excited. Obviously im so so ready for transplant.

Tagged:

1 - 5 of 5 Replies

• I am so glad those chains exist. I don't have any reliable information on the timeline of everything coming full circle for you, but I hope it is sooner then later.

Keep us posted!

January 26, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I faced a similar situation with my liver transplant - someone who was tested to be a donor for me wasn't a match but still went and donated to someone else. I never heard anything about her donation surgery or the recipient, aside from what she told me herself. I am so glad she did decide to donate though - from what she knows from connecting with the recipient's family part of her liver went to a young boy

January 30, 2023
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

I received a deceased donor kidney, but I likely would have needed to do a paired donation too. That's exciting that your chain is starting. Keep us posted! I hope you get your new kidney soon.

January 30, 2023
  • Philipjones17Transplant Patient

I dont have any experience personally but my co-host tifiro cook does.. we did a show where we broke down his pair exchange story

February 26, 2023
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

How many folks(Kidney donors & recipients) in this TransplantLyfe community have benefited by participating in Paired Exchange Programs? Please share your experiences so that others can learn and benefit too.

March 22, 2023