Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

secondary insurance options

HummingbirdCare Partner
February 3, 2023 in Kidney

Hi everyone,

My son is coming up on his 2 year anniversary of his transplant and has renal medicare Part A & B. Has anyone explored having a Medicare Advantage plan and do you know if it is an option? If so do you think it is beneficial? I dont know if he will qualify for state Medicaid at this time due to his income and his job does not offer benefits. Any recommendations are appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Kim

Tagged:

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

• HRB52Transplant Patient

I switched my Medicare A&B to a United Healthcare optimum plan. It has been very reasonable to me, including the pharmacy portion.

February 3, 2023
  • HummingbirdCare Partner

Thank you so much for your feedback! I will look into it as an option!

February 3, 2023
  • Howanitz39Transplant Patient

What is Renal Medicare? I have never heard of it before. I have Social Security disability and when you are on it for two years you automatically get Medicare and I had it before my transplant. I have Humana Advantage gold plus it is a plan for low income I only qualify for Florida Medicaid to pay for my Medicare premium. Try Access Florida they might be able to help you. Good luck 💚

February 4, 2023
  • HummingbirdCare Partner

Thanks for your reply. I think Renal Medicare is the same as what you have. I just know my son qualified for it when he got his transplant and it is part A and B and is good for 36 months post transplant. He had Medicaid also but he will lose it on his 21st birthday and then has to reapply as an adult but i dont know if he will qualify due to his income. We are going to give it a try but I wanted to know what other options are out there as a secondary ins.Thanks again and best of luck to you too!!!

February 5, 2023