General — TransplantLyfe

General

Prisoners get reduced sentencing when donating bone marrow or organs?

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
February 11, 2023 in General

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

• AnnMarieCare Partner

Honestly I think every prisoner should have to give back, as a service to the community for what they have done. While I am not a transplant patient and I do not know others would feel about this I wonder how many lives could be saved. BUT I do not think they should get time off! @AliEm14 @brookegurrad @Sdey0522 @Shelbycreates curious your take?

February 14, 2023
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

I think it's sticky situations like this that contribute to the massive shortage of organ and bone marrow transplant donors. We don't want to make it so that they feel like they have to, but we also don't give them an incentive for going through with such a courageous act. Dang, this is controversial for sure. I wish there were simpler solutions, but maybe this is getting things going in the right direction to ask questions that can help with the shortage.

February 14, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I agree with @Shelbycreates. Even with the organ shortage worldwide, I feel like it's a really fine line in incentivizing people to donate. I think this ties into a bigger issue, linked to the justice system and why these people are in prison in the first place, and can get into a really grey, unethical situation really fast. I would have a lot of concern. I don't think people should be coerced or incentivized into donating an organ.

February 14, 2023
  • I agree with Shelby. It seems like donation in this sense is more of a coersion then being altruistic. I also think it depends on why they are in prison and if they are likely to change enough to warrent the sentence reduction.

February 14, 2023