General — TransplantLyfe

General

What does your week of physical activity look like

Philipjones17Transplant Patient
February 16, 2023 in General

Most of us have a set schedule of what we do for physical activity for the week. Some of us dont. Can the people who do give a little example of what you do to help guide the ones who dont know where to start but want to start.

I honestly do 2 things 1 is walk..2) i found something i love to do that i know i wont give up on to keep me active and that is theatre.. our rehearsals are like a soccer practice constent moving lol. Lets here som examples of your week.

Tagged:

1 - 17 of 17 Replies

• ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

I love this topic! I have recently started playing pickleball with some incredible ladies from my church group. They’re all about 20-25 years older than me and they’re the most amazing women.

I go to the gym around 8:00 and play until 9:30 on M, W, F. I try to go walking or hiking on my off days.

I’ve also got a standing desk and an under the desk treadmill.

When it’s consistently warm here, I’ll be returning to outdoor cycling and jogging a couple times a week.

I also want to get back into swimming laps. It sounds like a lot, but I really just do what my body asks me to do. She likes to move. I always remind myself, I may not be the fastest one out there, but I’m moving my body for the pure love of moving.

And when I’m not feeling up to it, I honor my body’s request for rest and have learned how to do that guilt free, so it actually feels like rest!

I’d love to hear from others on this topic too.

February 16, 2023
  • Charles_Williams_SrTransplant Patient

MWF - aerobics on multiple equipment for variety/avoiding boredom

TTh - circuit strength training

February 16, 2023
  • Philipjones17Transplant Patient

Thats awesome i thought i did a lot in general through out my day i think you beat me for sure that sounds like a awesome day though i love it

February 16, 2023

I understand the avoiding boredom part of that for sure.. stay active

February 16, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I love this! While I don't have a "set schedule" per say I do have things I gravitate towards, and definitely want to set up more of a routine now that I don't have any surgeries planned for the foreseeable future.

I try to get walks in when I can - I aim for daily but living in a place where the temperature can hit -40 in the winter that can be hit or miss.

I try to do strength training 3ish days a week (usually MWF but sometimes I mix it up, and I'll do some version of lower body, upper body and core focused days) and then the other 2 days I'll do pilates or yoga. I've been really focused on rebuilding my core after my last surgery, so I also have PT thrown in there usually once a week, where we focus specifically on core specific stuff.

February 16, 2023
  • JillbestTransplant Patient

Hi! I also love this topic. Physical activity is my jam and it's honestly what got me through my recovery, even though after my transplant I began with 1 and 2 lb weights. :)

Today, 7 years out from my liver transplant, I consider myself a swimmer as thats my favourite thing to do! I currently train in the pool 3-4 times a week for 60 minutes at a time. 2-3km per practice and I focus on all strokes (butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke and frontcrawl)

My strength training workouts happen 2x a week, full body workouts which involve lifting weights and body weight exercises like pushups, chin ups...

Walks happen daily, sometimes 1km around the block with my senior pug and sometimes my husband and I will go for a quick 2-5km walk in our neighborhood!

February 16, 2023
  • JillbestTransplant Patient

I think rebuilding your core is so important after surgery, and keeping that in your regular routine is key to longevity!

Personally I have found that continuously working on my core strength has kept away my back pain that I used to get when I wasn't as physically active.

February 16, 2023
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

I don't have a set schedule... I joke that I have an 8 year old who plays all the sports. We play either basketball, football, baseball, or soccer every night. In the summer, if we need to run a quick errand in town, that is under 3 miles and a small shopping load, we ride our bikes. I walk every day at lunch. Not a set distance, but for 30 minutes. I established this routine a long time ago to help keep my blood sugar after lunch more manageable. I still do it, because I live in CO and the sunshine helps keep my rejuvenated for an afternoon of work.

I really enjoy yoga and try to practice a few times a week. I need to focus on restoring my pelvic floor after surgery. Although I didn't have a baby recently my pelvic floor feels like I did after my KP transplant. Needless to say right now trampoline parks are off limits :)

@Shelbycreates , I am curious how you like your under desk treadmill? I use a standing desk at work and would like to get a treadmill however I am concerned that I might not be coordinated enough to walk and type at the same time, and I spend all day typing. ha ha! I don't want to make a fool of myself.

February 16, 2023

@Philipjones17 it’s definitely not every day and I think the most important part is listening to my body and doing what she wants me to do! If she says rest, I rest. If she says move and play, I do that too! Aren’t bodies amazing??

February 16, 2023

@TServold i like it a lot. I just have to walk VERY slowly when I’m typing and realize that moving fast is not the goal

February 16, 2023

You dont have to go outside to get your walking in..you can walk around your house cleaning doing laundry etc, also if you can do it financially buy a treadmill but you have somewhat of a routine which is great keep going

February 16, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Yes! I definitely do try to keep busy around the house if its too cold to get outside. I love being able to integrate fresh air, and take my puppy, though

February 16, 2023

most definitely Self care is very important keep listening to your body

February 16, 2023

Outside is awesome those are just suggestions for when you cant go out..i would prefer outside anyday

February 16, 2023
  • brookegurradExpert
    Transplant Patient

I do one sit up a day: half to get out of bed, and half to lie down. 🤣

I've never considered myself an athlete, but I also want to honor my body's desire to move. My movement of choice is yoga. I like to hit the punching bag, and from time to time hop on the Peloton bike. I also do a lot of singing, so I'm training my body and core to support my sound constantly. I call that indirect exercise.

February 16, 2023
  • Sadly I'm injured. I normally run 4-6 times a week, lift weights, play pickleball, maybe swim every once in a while. In general I just try and get outside. it makes me a much happier person.

This schedule has been reduced to running 3 times a week, weight lifting 2 times a week, PT 2 times a week and then swim, bike or elliptical the off days from running.

I agree with those above. Find something you really LOVE to do and stick to it. Finding a friend to participate in those activities also helps for accountability.

February 16, 2023
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

Lots n lots of good tips & shares here! Thank you all!

It's all very inspiring for me. I need to (literally) get moving!!

My walking buddy is Jay.

February 17, 2023