General — TransplantLyfe

General

high risk organs

Philipjones17Transplant Patient
February 26, 2023 in General

How many of you would or have taken which at one time was called high risk organs which is now called increased-risk organs

1 - 14 of 14 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I think it would have depended on the situation and why they were increased risk for me. At the time I needed my first transplant, I probably would have, if I was making that choice again it would be very dependent on why they were increased risk, and involve a very lengthy conversation with my medical team

February 27, 2023
  • Philipjones17Transplant Patient

Thats a great way to go about making that decision. Envolving your medical team instead of just deciding on your own..

February 27, 2023
  • Carla1997Transplant Patient

I have been on the wait list for two and a half years and I chose an increase risk kidney. And it has worked beautifully, in fact it was from a deceased owner and it started to work as I was on the operating table. By the third day my creatinine was 0.82. so I know it was by the grace of God I was chosen for that kidney and I have not had any issues since.

February 27, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Carla1997 Congratulations so HAPPY for you. Continue on this path of being well😊 you made the right choice..

February 27, 2023

Thank you 💚

February 27, 2023
  • in my understanding most high risk organs are high risk but there is medication that can combat that risk. The doctors are aware and will make sure to monitor for those diseases and use of drugs to combat the illness/disease.

For me, it's still a significant worry and I agree with @AliEm14 and would talk extensively with the care team to make sure it really is a good match.

February 28, 2023

Of course you would confirm with your team, and yes there are medications that will cure Hep-C. I have faith in God and I called on him and he answered me because l was in prayer when my phone ring and I got The Call.

February 28, 2023
    February 28, 2023

Thank you 💚

February 28, 2023
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Carla1997 - that's so awesome! I'm si happy it worked out for you.

It's most definately a tough decision that needs to be weighed carefully, in consultation with the care team & family members.

A lot of the time, it does depend on the circumstances as @AliEm14 mentioned.

Each situation is differrent. We are all unique individuals, especially with regards to preferences and risk-tolerance levels etc.

In my case, I did agree to consider a heart from a donor who would fall into the category of 'high risk'. I agreed because I wanted to live - even if it was a short time, I'd hopefully be able to watch my daughters grow up some more. As it turns out, the heart that's beating inside of me is NOT a 'high risk' organ.

There are many reasons why an organ maybe classified as higher risk. For example, in some cases the organ Procurement teams don't aren't able to confirm the history of the donor for whatever reason (for reasons such as prior drug use, incarceration etc) - those top would get classified as 'high risk' due to behavior patterns of the deceased donor.

As mentioned by @authenticallyapril & @Carla1997 - there have been many medical advancements & innovations (using perfusion technology) and some things are completely treatable if the recipient does end up being affected after the donation (like hep C).

Bottom-line for me, I wanted to do everything possible to prolong life & that meant somehow increase the pool of available organs, knowing about the extreme shortage of organs. The 'shortage' is mainly due to the fact that less than 2% of deceased donors are actually able to donate a viable solid organ. ALL the stars have to be aligned, so to speak for Transplantation to happen to save a life.

February 28, 2023
  • DebTransplant Patient

After a lot of research and assurance from my medical team I chose a high risk liver as an option. I got a call within 9 months of being listed. I was very ill and thought that was my only choice. I received a hep c positive liver and I’ve done great!! I take a pill every other day and gave no signs of the disease. It wasn’t an easy decision but for me it was the right one!!

February 28, 2023
  • AklowakTransplant Patient

My employment background is as an RN in infectious disease- I am very familiar with hepatitis and the treatment as well as the amazing success it has within the transplant community- I had this knowledge well before I even knew I would ever need an organ donation. So I never thought twice to take a “high risk” donation it actually was more calming for me as it was something I was familiar with. I did not end up with a diseased donor so it was not to be my path but if and when I need a second donation I’d still be totally open to higher risk donations.

February 28, 2023

I understand 100% but im glad you are doing well with no post issues and are living a great life post transplant

March 1, 2023

That is the very reason why i push patients to educate themselves on their illness and why i do so many conferences to educate them

March 1, 2023