General — TransplantLyfe

General

Tornado warning

February 27, 2023 in General

Well, we live in tornago alley here in Ohio. We are under a tornado warning at the moment and while we are in our safe spot I am listing all the things I really should have together to be more prepared.

What if the tornado hit our house and Timmy couldn't get his meds or the others in the family too? This is probably my number one to have in a safe spot with a week worth for everything just in case.

Food and Water need to be accessible in our safe spot so we are prepared to stay hydrated.

Games to keep the anxiety/worry at bay.

What big things can you think of that are a necessity when preparing or experiencing a natural disaster?

Tagged:

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I'm not sure if this is the same for the US but I'm in Canada and here's what I do: I have an emergency supply of meds that should last me a week or more. I add this to whatever else is in our emergency stash (canned food, bottled water, clothes, blankets...) I also tend to travel with extra hand sanitizer and masks, and I have my health care card, any important medical information and phone numbers but that's just me.

If I am in a situation where I don't have access to meds, I can call my transplant hospital and get an emergency extra supply, or if I'm not at home, I can get my coordinator to call in to the closest transplant facility to where I'm at and get me an extra emergency supply.

I feel like if I did experience a natural disaster or a big emergency, most of my concerns would be similar to the general public. It's so hard not to stress in these situations, and you sound like you're doing everything you can to be prepared. I'll be thinking of you and your family. Keep us posted

February 27, 2023
  • A few years ago a tornado tore through our town. I think the entire city has left over PTSD from it, knowing there were many stores, pharmacies and retails shops demolished. So this warning brought back all the feelings of worry but the meds was definitely my biggest concern and what would happen if we weren't able to access help from a pharmacy being nearby and not having our stockpile close.

Thankfully we survived another day and the tacro is there for us still in the cupboard tucked away and safe.

February 28, 2023