Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

The Struggle is Real

novelli80Transplant Patient
February 28, 2023 in Kidney

Probably my biggest struggle with renal failure is limiting my fluid intake. I don't remember ever being this thirsty. I think of drinking (water, juice, ect) like a junky. It's crazy and I go into dialysis heavy more time than I'd like to admit.

Tagged:

1 - 6 of 6 Replies

• AklowakTransplant Patient

I used to dream of drinking water when I was on dialysis- I never really found a way to atop my desire to drink fluids. But being very strict with my sodium intake helped. And I loved the summer because I get more fluids when it was hot out.

this isn’t much help for you and I’m sorry for that but please know you aren’t alone in this struggle and I’m sure some more good advice will come from the community.

February 28, 2023
  • novelli80Transplant Patient

Thank you for the advice. I was told by my renal doctor to limit enriched foods as well. I look forward to summer jogs so I can sweat out some of that fluid as well.

March 1, 2023
  • Howanitz39Transplant Patient

I too struggled with feeling thirsty when I was on dialysis especially because I did PD Dialysis first and when you're on PD Dialysis you have no restrictions of fluid. So going from drink anything to only being able to drink 16oz a day sucked big time. I saw that you said you were heavier before you got put on the machine. Do you have to stop because your blood pressure drops. I use to have to stop for that reason and because of that they did not always get all of the fluid off of me. So even if I was super careful I would be heavier the next time I got weighed and I was doing dialysis four days a week for four hours a day. I am so glad I got my call for my transplant when I did because I was told on Monday that they were stopping my Saturday treatment because I was doing Monday Wednesday Friday and Saturday the reason what the nurse gave me was because I was drinking more on Fridays because I knew I was going to get the fluid off on Saturday. Believe me the tears fell the whole time I was there. Remember I said I was taken off the machine early the nurse never to that into consideration of why I was always heavier. I got my call that Wednesday. My trick was to freeze a water bottle all day and drink what was melted so I knew I would only have 16 oz of fluid a day I was also told that you should try sucking on hard candy that that would help I couldn't do that because I was a diabetic at the time. Best of luck to you and I hope this helps some💚🤞

March 2, 2023

My blood pressure stays good most of the time during dialysis. It dropped a few times and they had to stop the machine. I've tried candies and fruit but I'm still thirsty after eating them. I believe that salty foods can be an issue with me. I don't eat them a lot but sometimes.

How long did you wait before you got the call?

March 2, 2023
  • Howanitz39Transplant Patient

I was on the list for 15 months. 💚 I just read your bio try to stay strong I know you have probably heard that your whole life. I hope you get a new kidney very soon.I do not know if you are very faithful and I hope you do not mind but I will pray for you and your family 💚💙

March 2, 2023