General — TransplantLyfe

General

Another year

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
Updated May 27, 2021 in General

Another year has almost passed and I am still alive with my two transplants - I still feel vulnerable thinking about the organs not being "mine" but given to me, and stitched into my body, but in some ways they are simpler to understand than the pacemaker I have that keeps my heart from halting at stressful times. I seem to have more trust in a living organ that a machine, and that is just the way I am - I prefer walking over driving, I prefer writing w a pen over typing. I want to honor the gift, but also honor the organs themselves - how they can function in a body different than where they came from, and sometimes I even think of them as their own individual entities...

So as 2021 starts up, I will give a toast not only to my two donors, but also to (kidney) Pisse Nisse and (pancreas) Beta! @Lisa_Hehenberger @Iris8324

1 - 5 of 5 Replies

• KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

@JimGleason yes - the heart - it, him or her - is very much alive and is keeping you alive - so is Roberto alive?? That is a complex question and I ask that one too of my pancreas. Even more complex, and not something I want to think of, but when/if the organ stops working - is that the moment the donor dies???

December 30, 2020
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

@JimGleason I agree with you - and that makes it easier psychologically to handle living donors too. My father's kidney is now fully mine and it is my responsibility to care for it. I have however seen legal cases, where a couple divorced and then the donor reclaimed his/her organ, but I do not think that could ever be allowed???

December 30, 2020
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient