General — TransplantLyfe

General

Anyone at the World Transplant Games??

ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient
April 18, 2023 in General

I’m having fun watching competitors on this week at the World Transplant Games. I can’t wait until I go one day!

Have you competed before? Are you competing in these games?

Let us know 👇🏻👇🏻👇🏻

1 - 11 of 11 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I wish! Seeing the games this year is a big inspiration for me to compete in the future. I am swelling with pride over here watching team Canada crush it!

April 18, 2023
  • chris830Transplant Patient

I was there with team GB&NI for my first world games and wow what an event.

April 28, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@chris830 please share! I’d love to hear all about your experience.

April 28, 2023
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

@chris830 yes!!! Tell us everything! I loved watching everyone!

April 28, 2023

Well to say the sensation of being an athlete for your country is huge then this event really hit home, the crowds on the opening ceremony really hit me in the feels.

the best thing I can say and take away from doing the games is you’re not alone in this journey of transplant life, we all have a story. Everyone is kind and thoughtful and extremely supportive even if other teams/competitors.

winning is great but I’d say the overall achievement of getting to the games and competing is huge for the majority of us in my case I’m only 16 months post tx, it’s been a journey to get to the games but I did it.

April 29, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@chris830 being able to compete 16 months out is huge!

one of the things I loved watching was all the different countries coming together. It inspired me to start training so one day I can come to the games and compete with team Canada!

April 29, 2023
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

@chris830 thank you for sharing!! It is my dream to compete one day!! I’m hoping to go to the US games next year. I’m planning on doing some triathlons this summer and get back to swimming! I can’t even imagine the feeling you’re describing. It sounds amazing. Way to go being there 16 months post! That’s incredible.

April 29, 2023

Thank you all for your kind words.

I believe that anyone can achieve anything if you set your mind to.

I’m taking the rest the year out of competing but 2024 British games or European games then worlds in 2025 in Dresden.

Good luck with your journeys

you can find me on instagram @chrisholmescoaching

April 29, 2023
  • JillbestTransplant Patient

Hi all! A little late to this discussion but never to late to share my experience at the World Transplant Games.

@chrisholmescoaching I have to agree, the opening ceremonies at the games in Perth 2023 were emotional and brought out all the gratitude and feelings of love and you could see and feel it in the crowd. (photo attached!)

meeting others who have such different back rounds from all different countries but being united by our transplant journeys is really is a special thing.

I've been fortunate to attend 3 World Games now. I went to my first games in Malaga Spain, also about 16 months after my liver transplant, and I was overcome with such positive emotion. I felt so proud to stand on the podium with other inspiring athletes who I know worked so hard and trained to get to the podium and represent our countries.

2019 in New Castle Gateshead was incredible as well.. my first time to the UK so that was special too. Getting to travel to different places is a bonus. (I'm from Canada!)

2023 Perth in Australia! I have no words to fully describe the magic of these games. Aus was definitely a place I've always wanted to go and I'm so glad I was able to attend, travel there and meet such amazing people.

I swam (I'm a swimmer) in 5 events and was so grateful to be on the podium again...I set a world record in the 50m breaststroke, 3 new Personal Best times and many more new friends I met at the pool!

Anyone who's even considering going, honestly, just try it...having the games as a goal really motivates me to train and be active, and make healthy life choices...try the national games in your country or state, meeting new people is such a treat and you will connect with others who have been through similar things. There really is nothing quite like it.

I hope everyone is well and enjoying this beautiful day :)

May 18, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Jillbest just watching it I felt that sense of connection and pride! I wasn’t expecting to get so emotional - I can’t imagine what it was like being there

it definitely inspired me to start training for the Canada games next year. It makes me really proud to belong to such an incredible community

May 22, 2023
  • fern22Transplant Patient

I would LOVE to compete in the 2024 summer games.

June 7, 2023