General — TransplantLyfe

General

Skin Care

TServoldTransplant Patient
May 17, 2023 in General

Did anyone experience changes in your skin after transplant? I have always taken good care of my skin, and never had much acne or blemishes growing up. Since transplant I have developed acne and am finding a hard time treating it. Ideally, someone my age would start aggressive skin care and possible a Retin-A treatment, but due to my sensitivity to the sun and high risk for skin cancer I don't want to do that, yet. Just curious is this is common, or if its just part of my post-transplant, pre-menopausal season of life.

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

My skin definitely changed with my transplant. It feels less waxy now if that makes sense, definitely has more texture to it and it tends to be more oily too. I had to totally switch up my skincare routine because what I was doing before just wasn't cutting it anymore.

I find that my skin is super sensitive to what I put on it. Is it possible that you're reacting to something? Your dermatologist would also be a great person to ask.

May 17, 2023
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

Interesting that you also had to switch up your skin care routine. I did talk to my PCP about my skin, she didn't think it was a reaction, but maybe my sensitive skin soup was not keeping up with my current changes. I do have an appointment with dermatology soon and will follow up.

It's so interesting to me how everything is somehow connected.

May 19, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Skin is a reflection of your systemic health so no wonder… with the multiple drugs we are on it is hard! My skin is rougher and obviously I have lots of skin cancer which need removal or I have scars

May 20, 2023
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

I had a terrible reaction to Bactrim and quite a bit of acne. They took me off Bactrim and my skin totally cleared up.

May 22, 2023

Interesting!! By acne has shown up AFTER I stopped the Bactrim. maybe Ill just go back on it. ha ha ha ha. (kidding)

@Karin , I am so worried about skin cancer. I always have been, but I really am now. Thankfully, I love to wear big floppy hats, baseball caps, flat brim hats, ALL the hats and sunglasses. I used to work for a facial plastic surgeon who treated skin cancer, I am thankful I still have contact with him, should I need anything taken care of.

May 23, 2023
  • coopscadoopTransplant Patient

I hear you completely! Prednisone was the culprit for me. My skin broke out in places on my body I never knew possible. I worked exhausting all topical and medication options with a dermatologist for 6 months and the final solution we found is low-dose (20mg daily) Accutane. It also helps having prednisone levels minimal (2.5mg daily).

Everybody is different. Good luck, a solution is definitely out there!

May 31, 2023

@jillralkee in regards to you skin care post. It's totally something I'm fighting as well.

June 10, 2023