Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

My second kidney transplant

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
May 18, 2023 in Kidney

Hi everyone!

Exactly four weeks ago, I went through my second kidney transplant… this happened after one month on dialysis, after a diagnostic angiogram put me into kidney failure w a renal function of less than 5 percent…

I am so grateful to my donor, my sister @Lisa_Hehenberger and all the Drs and nurses and other providers who were part of this journey!

I am also so grateful to the rest of my family, and my close friends who supported us both through this period and still now.

please read more about my journey on the blog, under the education tab, and don’t hesitate to reach out to me!

1 - 9 of 9 Replies

• lescp3Care Partner

Thank you so much for documenting this journey to share with this community!!!

May 18, 2023
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

Wow @Karin - what an amazing journey!! Thank you for sharing the ups & downs of your transplant journey via the blog (https://www.transplantlyfe.com/education/blog).

You are of course a warrior. You're also super blessed & extremely lucky that you have had a total of three (3) donor heroes who made it possible for you to receive the Gifts of Life. May God bless all of you as you once again resume living life to the fullest with Croissant - Lisa helping you thrive. Congratulations & happy healing! 👍 🙏

Enjoy the summer with your loved ones. Good luck and best wishes.

May 18, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Thank you @Sdey0522 and @lescp3 !!

May 18, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Anyone who is going through the post transplant recovery right now??? So many hospital visits and labs… my poor veins are bulging from all the blood draws and since I am in Ct and I go to Columbia I drive twice a week at least 4 hrs … tiring but of course no issue compared to dialysis!

May 20, 2023
  • AnnCare Partner

Karin, It is good to hear you were able to get a transplant. Thank you for always being so transparent and sharing your journey. I have no doubt that is helpful to more people than might reply here. All the best!

May 21, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Thank you @Ann

May 21, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Karin i’m 6 months out from my abdominal wall transplant and I remember the first few months were tough! I had surgery in November and it was February ish before I felt any kind of normal again. It was a night and day difference, and in comparison to my initial liver transplant journey it was easy, but I did find I had to be so much more mindful of allowing my feelings, processing my trauma and giving myself room to feel bad. Just because it was easier than X didn’t mean it was easy, and I think I pushed myself a lot harder than I should have because I was so determined to heal fast and well

May 22, 2023
  • KkqueenTransplant Patient

Thank you Karin for you documentation and continued discussion about your journey. It gives me hope that we can get thru the trying times and recover> Hope...

June 8, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Thank you @Kkqueen ! I am feeling so happy - not experiencing any trauma @AliEm14 - but I am more of a “what’s next” person…

June 8, 2023