General — TransplantLyfe

General

Inheriting more than the donor's organ...

kidneywarriorTransplant Patient
Updated May 20, 2023 in General

I have heard some amazing stories about how transplant recipients immediately acquire skills that they did not have before their surgery (one example I have heard of is a person discovering that they could speak a foreign language that they never studied fluently). Has anyone in our group experienced this?

Tagged:

1 - 14 of 14 Replies

• KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Nope

May 21, 2023
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

Nope... I (jokingly) said before my transplant that I hoped I developed teleportation after surgery. No such luck.

May 21, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I think I did. I definitely notice subtle changes in myself and I wonder if they were characteristics from my donor or just changes because of trauma. it’s mostly been things I like now that I didn’t before. I remember things i “shouldn’t” but in a way where the memories feel like mine and not mine at the same time.

even if they aren’t strictly from my donor, I feel almost comforted to believe that they are.

May 22, 2023
  • jillralkeeTransplant Patient

Wow that is amazing, I wish I did!!

May 22, 2023
  • coopscadoopTransplant Patient

No abilities, but an extraordinary craving for nicotine for 6 months. I felt like I was withdrawing, but have never touched a cigarette!

May 31, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

oooh that's an interesting one! I had food cravings, but nicotine would be something else entirely. How did you handle that?

May 31, 2023
  • WarriorLady61Care Partner

My mom received a kidney and liver transplant 7 months ago and she was never a “sweets” person.. now that’s all she likes or craves. Sweet bread or cakes you name it.. and it’s so odd because our whole family is shocked

July 9, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

WarriorLady, I can totally relate. I was never much of a sweet eater but now I to LOVE sweets. I have been told it could be from the meds we have to take.

July 9, 2023
  • DebTransplant Patient

I’m right there with loving sweets even more now. I’ve always been the salty snack person with a bite of sweet but now that’s all I want. I don’t care if I eat anything else much at all. I do love fruit even more as well. Cookies for breakfast, lunch and dinner and I’m happy. Haha!!

July 9, 2023

👍👍 I am a big fruit eater too . My appetite is not the same any more either. 😊

July 9, 2023
  • fern22Transplant Patient

This is such a fascinating topic to me. Part of the reason why I truly truly believe organ donation is 'energy work'. A lot of the things I experience happen in my dream state. I have such vivid dreams now.

July 10, 2023

I was tempted for sure, but obviously my transplant team advised against it and my mind still found it unappealing so I just waited until the cravings subsided.

July 19, 2023

I was tempted for sure, but obviously my transplant team advised against it and my mind still found it unappealing so I just waited until the cravings subsided.

July 19, 2023

Hi, mine might be a little different I dreamed that something bad/serious happened to my donor “Andy” he suffered mental illness his mom told me he got off his meds, which she blames herself b/c she should have done more, he walked into the middle of traffic. Andy was not an organ donor but her and his father felt he would have wanted to be to help others. Andy helped 8 lives, I received his liver. Andy is my hero and I am so fortunate to communicate w/my donor family 💚❤️

July 19, 2023