Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

It's almost Summer!! What sunscreen are you all using?

jillralkeeTransplant Patient
May 31, 2023 in Kidney

Summer is coming up and protecting our skin is the most important. This is my first summer out and about since my transplant and I want to make sure iI am the most protected! Which one do you all like using the best?

Share your thoughts below!

1 - 17 of 17 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I'm a pale redhead with a transplant so sun protection is always at the front of my mind. Luckily I've haven't had any spots yet, but I am aware of my increased risk factor.

I have a few sunscreens, and usually I'll just reach for whichever one is closest. For more of a lotion right now I'm using beauty counter, and I have a stick that I love which is the solar stick from forever healthy. I try to keep the ingredients pretty clean, and I'm of the mindset that whatever I remember to apply and is the easiest for me is what I'll use

May 31, 2023
  • fern22Transplant Patient

Also, fair skinned red head here ✌🏼 I use Cerave on my face & MINERAL SUNSCREEN ONLY on my body. Not trying to put toxins on my skin that can also cause skin cancer. I use the app EWG to check ingredients and be sure i’m using something safe on my skin. I also have a stronger homemade zinc sunscreen balm that I apply on the stronger days especially on my face. I have tons of freckles.

June 7, 2023
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

I like Bare Republic; they have a gel-lotion mineral SPF that is nice for day to day wear, Badger Balm has a nice sport mineral SPF that I use for activities such as water activity, hiking, baseball games, biking, etc. I don't care for any of the mineral spray sunscreens. They go everywhere and I have left zinc on my driveway, decking, side of a car, and may more places.

June 7, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

W my multiple skin cancers - on average 2/year the past five years, I am using spf40! Neutrogena

June 8, 2023
  • PassickTransplant Patient

Super Good Play and Neutrogena - 50spf

June 9, 2023
  • jillralkeeTransplant Patient

I've heard Zinc is good to use but is it super white? That's my only reason I don't want to use it!! I also heard it's super thick and hard to rub in.

June 9, 2023
  • Howanitz39Transplant Patient

I was never told what kind to use or not use as long as it is spf 30. Because I live in Florida I use banana boat spf 50 and it is waterproof I only wear it if I am going to be in the sun for a long time. I pretty much stay inside till the sun goes down because it is always to hot for me. I also go swimming at night.

June 13, 2023
  • coopscadoopTransplant Patient

Pauls Choice is the answer. Best sunscreen ever, especially for face. SPF 50 here.

June 17, 2023

Zinc always leaves me white too. Feels (and sometimes looks) chalky on the skin Don't know a way around this :/

June 17, 2023
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

Man, this sun sensitivity thing is no joke!! I've always been very sensitive to the sun and burn very easy. Applying sunscreen is second nature for me. Today was the first really beautiful day we have had, and I was outside in a tank top. Yes, I had my sunscreen on. No, I did not reapply it soon enough. For many people (such as my husband and son who were outside with me) this would not be a big deal... For me. Ouch. Lets just say my shoulders are bright red. I will be investing in more sun shirts.

June 19, 2023

Paula's choice SPF 50 Moisturizer. Goes on seamlessly, very lightweight and really lasts! https://www.paulaschoice.com/resist-skin-restoring-moisturizer-with-spf-50/797.html

June 27, 2023
  • ole_ball_coachTransplant Patient

I was given Blue Lizard 50 SPF by the medical team when I was discharged. I have no reason to use anything else. It goes on easily and has protected so far. However, I a firm believer in SPF shirts and bucket hat. I was a coach and an avid golfer, so I have already had deep skin cancers removed. You can get Blue Lizard through the companies' website or on Amazon.

June 28, 2023
  • JamieHaightExpert
    Other

I am not a transplant patient, but I use Supergoop, Native, Sun Bum, or any product without 'The Suspicious 6' (ingredients that can irritate the skin). They can be a bit more expensive, but save my face from an allergic breakout.

June 28, 2023
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

Generally speaking, transplant patients/recipients should use high SPF sun screen protection because the risk of getting skin cancer is higher due to the immunosuppression meds.

https://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-prevention/sun-protection/

June 28, 2023
  • LizziTransplant Patient

Hei there! Here a good tip for europe:

I am also a very fresh transplantee and I was recommended by another "older" tranplant patient, to use the brand "La Rosée" SPF 50+. It smells amazingly like apricot and feels super nice on the skin!

My doctors recommended me SPF 50+ since I would return to the mountains after leafing Paris, where the exposure is supposed to be higher.

I also found to like Rituals SPF 50+ to be very good on my face.

Bisous et bonne chance!

July 12, 2023
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

For my face I usually use a Neutrogena lotion. But also lately I have been really liking the E.L.F holy hydration SPF 30 face cream. It's also a nice primer. And then I use the Rare Beauty Tinted Moisturizer with an SPF. I then use Neutrogena on the rest of my body. I do this even if I don't think I will be out in the sun. I live in San Diego so the possibility is high that I will at some point be in the sun. Its also so important to get your yearly Dermatology checks 😊

July 15, 2023
  • fern22Transplant Patient

Here's a link to sunscreen studies on the carcinogens found in them. This spreadsheet shows what brands contain or do not contain carcinogens.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1acSH4D45_8j4QUmpzlD3mj_7eh3EaFGkwM1JSAiXb2c/edit#gid=0

July 19, 2023