General — TransplantLyfe

General

Exercising: A Celebration of What Your Body Can Do - A Chronic Kidney Patient's Perspective

andresfalcoTransplant Patient
June 2, 2023 in General

Exercising should be a celebration of what your body can do. As a fellow chronic kidney patient, I want to share my personal experience of how exercise has positively impacted my life and made me feel incredible.

Living with chronic kidney disease or undergoing dialysis can often make us feel limited or restricted. However, through exercise, we can break free from those perceived boundaries and discover the remarkable potential within our bodies.

When I first started incorporating exercise into my routine, I was amazed at the difference it made. Not only did it improve my physical health, but it also had a profound impact on my mental and emotional well-being. Engaging in regular physical activity helped boost my energy levels, reduce fatigue, and strengthen my muscles.

More importantly, exercise provided me with a sense of empowerment and control over my own health. It reminded me that I am not defined by my condition, but rather by the choices I make to take care of myself. Each step, each movement became a victory, a celebration of the resilience and strength within me.

I want to emphasize that exercise should always be approached with caution and under the guidance of healthcare professionals. They can provide valuable insights and tailor an exercise plan that suits your specific needs and limitations.

The key is to listen to your body and make adjustments as necessary. Even small, consistent efforts can lead to significant improvements over time.

The benefits I have experienced through exercise extend far beyond the physical realm. It has given me a renewed sense of hope, boosted my confidence, and provided a supportive community of fellow patients who understand the unique challenges we face.

I invite you to join me on this journey of celebrating what our bodies can do. Let's share our exercise routines, successes, and even setbacks, knowing that we are not alone in this endeavor. Together, we can inspire and motivate one another to embrace exercise as a powerful tool for enhancing our quality of life.

Remember, every time you engage in physical activity, you are defying the limitations imposed by your condition. Embrace the joy of movement, celebrate the strength within you, and let exercise become a testament to your unwavering spirit.

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

This found me at just the right time! I've recently hit a setback in my consistency. Travel, weather changes, then I got sick, things have just been taking me out of routine and I'm struggling to get back into it.

One of the things that has helped me is the reminder that I don't have to be where I was. Any way of moving my body is great. I love suspension training, and it feels like a giant playground, so if I do that and find it fun I'm choosing to do that rather than forcing myself to go for a run that I might not enjoy as much.

I definitely agree movement should be a celebration of what your body can do. I always say my body has been through enough, I'm not into forcing her to do things. There's benefit in pushing yourself but once it stops being fun, I don't want to keep doing it. My goal has always been to build a healthier relationship with my body, not force it into something. It's definitely a work in progress, but it's all about finding what works for you

June 2, 2023
  • jillralkeeTransplant Patient

I needed to see this, thank you so much for sharing!! I struggle to get into a workout routine, mostly just knowing where to start. I think the battle for me is doing a little every day to where my body recognizes it can get better!

June 9, 2023