Liver β€” TransplantLyfe

Liver

Poor lab results

DebTransplant Patient
June 17, 2023 in Liver

I had labs done in May and my doctor ask me to repeat in June to double check on something. Well I got a call that my liver function is crazy and I need a liver biopsy asap. He said I may be rejecting my liver I’ve had for 3 years!! I am freaking out. I’m on vacation and I can’t get the “what ifs” off my mind. Anyone experienced this before? I’ve never had a biopsy and that alone scares me and then what follows next???

1 - 10 of 10 Replies

• KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I am so sorry to hear this but please know that most acute rejection episodes can be treated successfully! If it is rejection they may admit you and give you iv steroids and other strong immune suppression to stave off the rejection episode. It may also NOT be rejection but something else that is causing your liver values to be increased. Good luck!!

June 17, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Hi Deb, I had the same thing happen to me last October they were a little high I repeated in November they were even higher. I was admitted into the hospital put on strong steroids/immunosuppressants increased. They wanted to do a liver biopsy, I had broken shattered ,dislocated my right shoulder from a terrible fall so they were unable to do the biopsy at that. They monitored me closely in the hospital and with the steroids/increased immunosuppressants my numbers started coming down. TP team reassured me even tho I was in acute rejection did not mean the liver was rejecting. I was 2 years out when this happened so u may have something else like a viral episode going on. I was freaking out just like you. I completely understand your fears.

It is now 6/23 and my numbers stabilized after several months I never had to have the biopsy either. I get my labs once a month to keep a watch on things. They think mine is an autoimmune, but they really r not sure what happened also in July b/f my rejection they had decreased my prograf TP said that might have had something to do with itI am on a lot of my immunosuppressant meds now. I am having to start over.

I will be thinking about you and πŸ™πŸ» all will be fine. Remember when they catch it early they can reverse the rejection. Stay positive.

Keep us postedπŸ’šπŸ˜ŠπŸ™πŸ»

June 18, 2023
  • DebTransplant Patient

Thank you both so much. They eases my mind a little to know this is semi normal and it can be fixed, hopefully. Bless you both for your kind words. Guess I will make my appointment tomorrow and go from there.

June 18, 2023

Hi Deb , have they put u on prednisone already, They put me on it immediately and when I rechecked my labs they were still not where they should of been so that is why I ended up going to the hospital.

will be thinking about you, I am glad we can help you..πŸ’š

June 18, 2023
  • DebTransplant Patient

Melsamm,

They have not made any med changes yet just called and left a message that I need to schedule a biopsy asap. Thank you again for talking this through with me. I appreciate it so much!!

June 19, 2023

Deb, welcome, good luck w/everything 2morrow..

June 19, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I've had frequent episodes where my labs have gone a little wonky. For me it usually stems back to my bile duct narrowing, and now that we know that we can watch for it. The first few times though (and sometimes still) it really freaked me out.

I felt like I did something wrong, my mind went crazy with the what ifs. Having close communication with my coordinator has really helped. I've learned they're extra cautious, as they should be, and sometimes what seems like an emergency to me might just be them trying to get ahead of an issue or get a better picture so they can better treat me.

I always come back to I can't control any of this, that my team is doing the best they can to take care of me, and my job is to do whatever is in my power to stay healthy and let the rest go. I also ramp up on the self care during this time, knowing I'm going to be a little extra tender, and let my loved ones know I might be needing some extra support

Best of luck to you! keep us posted on how things go

June 19, 2023
  • DebTransplant Patient

Than you AliEm 14

I really appreciate the uplifting words this is the first time my liver enzymes have been bad. About 6 months after transplant I became anemic and after a week in the hospital they found out the problem and sent me in my way with scheduled infusions.

i wil let you know. I’m scheduled for next Thursday morning. It’s the unknown that scares me I’ve never had a biopsy before. But this too I will overcome!!

June 19, 2023
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

Indeed, @Deb - this too shall pass. Please let the experts worry about it - when we worry, we drive ourselves badly. Of course, all of this is easier said than done - we're only human.

Best of luck for Thursdays visit! πŸ‘ πŸ€ Sending positive vibes & prayers tour way. πŸ™ 🀲

June 19, 2023

Hi Deb, I am going to ditto what sdney AliEm have said. I to was anemic after my LTP and they did the same with me.. I know you r scared, will continue πŸ™πŸ»πŸ™πŸ» ‘s your way. πŸ’šπŸ’š

June 19, 2023