General — TransplantLyfe

General

viruses acquired from donor

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
June 29, 2023 in General

In the Hackensack support group last night, the topic of CMV and other related viruses came up. We had a great discussion on how informed patients felt they were on the possibility of acquiring a virus from their transplanted organ, experiences when the virus isn't responding to treatment, and the different ways this affects everyones lives.

I personally got EBV from my donor, and while its currently under control I'm constantly being monitored for it, and it greatly impacted my life when it started.

Did anybody else get CMV, EBV or something similar from their donated organ? Did you feel like you were educated on the risk before going into your transplant?

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

• bhameisterTransplant Patient

I got Hepatitis C after transplant from my donor. I am being tested yearly for it, but is under control now. They are still not sure how I got it. Before surgery they tested the donor liver and there was no sign of it. They believe it was laying dormant in the donors body until after transplant.

I felt I was educated going into transplant, especially taking a high risk donor. I was put on a three month medicine - three pills a day that was required to take with food - and I was monitored weekly. Not to mention this was a very expensive drug.

July 11, 2023
  • DebTransplant Patient

I, like you took a high risk liver and contracted hepatitis but I take meds every other day for it. I also ended up with CMV but it was treated quickly and gone. I was fully aware of the risk and my team has always been on top of things for me.

July 11, 2023