Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Long-term protein intake post-transplant?

coopscadoopTransplant Patient
July 11, 2023 in Kidney

Are there any restrictions/advice on long-term protein intake after kidney transplant? I am 1 year post-transplant and trying to build muscle.

1 - 4 of 4 Replies

• TServoldTransplant Patient

Interesting you posted this... I have it on my list of things to discuss with my care team during my appointment tomorrow. I was down to 20mg of protein, daily before my transplant. After transplant they wanted me to eat 80mg daily to build muscle and promote healing. I found it very difficult to get that much after being so restricted prior! I want to make sure I get enough, but also do not want to over do it, I want to protect this new kidney as long as possible, of course. Curious what others think/consume?

July 12, 2023
  • LizziTransplant Patient

Hei there!

I am still very new in the post-transplant game! But I recommend you to really verifiy proteinshakes (even well known brands can be dangerous) if not even avoid it!

The reason behind all of this, is that those powders/shakes caused my liverfailure!

I was a Powerlifter and I consumed 4 shakes a week. Not much. My little sister is a Bodybuilder and she got tested to after my diagnosis and showed alarming results, too. Gladly for her, it was a very early stage and she was able to not get out of it healthy!

My nutrinionist told me that I may never use proteindrinks again! But need to rely on animal sources. Especially white meat. Tofu, spinach, eggs (in limitations) and beans

Hope this helps!

Bises!

July 12, 2023
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

Of course you should discuss with your care team first. But protein is essential for healing. So getting enough is still important. Also many of the medications we can take after transplant can break down our muscles.

I have had a shake every morning for the last 5 years. I use Orgain protein powder. This of course has been cleared by my care team and works for my body. They advised me to stick with Plant based proteins. It helps me stay full and keep some of the prednisone weight off by not wanting to snack. I had my transplant 17 years ago, so I could be on a different level of care. So make sure to check with your care team. Let us know what your care team recommends.

July 15, 2023