General — TransplantLyfe

General

Tattoos/piercings?

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
January 16, 2021 in General

I know everything comes with a risk, but I’m curious if anyone has decided to get a tattoo or piercing after transplant?

I have multiple tattoos from before, and I’d love to get more. Obviously I’ll consult my doctors first, and wait until at least a year post transplant, but curious if anyone has personal experience with this?

1 - 5 of 5 Replies

• meghansmithTransplant Patient

I have 2 tattoos from pre-transplant. I have thoughts about wanting another one too! My team's stance is no new tattoos, but I know someone who has gotten some post-transplant and his team just checks his labs right afterwards. I think as long as you go to a reputable, clean place, your risk is pretty low!

January 21, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

that's what I've heard too! I know my transplant centre doesn't encourage it, but says if you do it, do it when you're stable and go to a clean, reputable shop. I'm still a little ways from that, so I'm not sure what I'll do going forward, but I definitely want more ink! Sometimes I struggle with the line between taking precautions and not doing things to keep myself safe and healthy after transplant and also not letting it limit me and still living my life

January 21, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

I received permission for a tattoo 5 years into my transplant from my center. I took antibiotics one hour prior to getting the tattoo, went to a clean and reputable place. I had no issues.

I have transitioned to a new center and they do not encourage tattoos.

January 21, 2021
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Good to know! I know it's not usually encouraged, i've just always been curious. And a little bit of a rebel, so contemplating pushing the envelope and seeing how far I can do ;)

January 22, 2021
  • ChefAmandaTransplant Patient

I understand completely. I am a bit of a rebel myself.

January 26, 2021