General — TransplantLyfe

General

Paxlovid

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
August 20, 2023 in General

I decided Not to take it - it would have required me to stop prograf for five days since it COMPLETELY blocks the metabolism of Tacrolimus… I am feeling so much better today (got zpack yesterday), and my covid test is negative! Anyone w experience on paxlovid???

Tagged:

1 - 1 of 1 Replies

• JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I had covid July 2022. Paxlovid was still a little new at the time. I didn't know too much about it. It was the weekend when I tested positive. I called my nephrologist's office about testing positive for covid. The on-call doctor said he would call in a prescription for Paxlovid. The pharmacy called to advise me not to take it. I called the doctor's office again, he said it was completely fine. So I took it. 6 hours later I was laying on the bathroom floor. I was continuously vomiting until Monday. I was so weak. I assumed it was symptoms of covid. First thing Monday I called Transplant Center, and they said immediately stop taking the Paxlovid. They said it was increasing my tacro from 2 to 50. They were able to get me in for some antibody treatment. About 2 days later I felt better.

I continued to test positive for 4 weeks. My guess it had something to do with the overdose of medication in my body. It was an ordeal.

August 21, 2023