General — TransplantLyfe

General

Extra Meds

TServoldTransplant Patient
August 22, 2023 in General

How many extra meds do you carry when you travel? With T1D I would bring a bunch of extras. I never knew if my pump might fall off, or my CGM would come off, or if it was going to be hot and I needed to make sure I had an extra vial of insulin always cold. I am taking a short trip this weekend, and I think I will bring a week's worth of meds with me... My regular needs, the ones I keep in my work bag and the ones I keep in my purse, for "just in case". I haven't forgotten my meds yet, but I know one day I will, and I like to keep some with me.

Tagged:

1 - 6 of 6 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I have a case that holds 2 weeks worth at a time, and just make sure that's full before I go on a trip. It's usually about a weeks worth of buffer room

August 22, 2023
  • fern22Transplant Patient

2 weeks!!! I also always have extra meds set aside in case something happens where my pharmacy doesn’t refill in a timely manner because that has happened to me as well.

August 22, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Me to, u never know..

August 22, 2023
  • DebTransplant Patient

I’ve only carried a day extra but I never travel very far and never out of the country. I may need to rethink what I do.

August 22, 2023
  • bhameisterTransplant Patient

I carried the bottles of my main meds when I traveled last and then for the supplements, I put them in an extra divided container. Once I reached my destination, I sorted my meds into the proper daily containers. I was traveling out of the United States and didn't want to seem suspicious when going through security/customs. Also, I had a list of the medications I was on that my post transplant coordinator provided. Never ran into any trouble, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

August 24, 2023
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I've always taken 1 week of extra medications with me. I also map out where all the local pharmacies are located on each trip I go on. One time I did labs a couple of days before I left on a trip to New York. The transplant called and asked me to increase one of my medications. I popped into a CVS and they were able to fill it for me in New York. If I am going out of the country I will take 2 weeks worth. That way I don't have to worry about it.

I've never had TSA in the US say anything about my loads of medications. I am a bit worried about it traveling out of the US in a couple of months. The transplant team suggested I keep them in the original containers and they will provided me with a note.

August 24, 2023