General — TransplantLyfe

General

Epogen Injection?

JeanmarieTransplant Patient
August 30, 2023 in General

Has anyone here had to give themselves an Epogen injection? Before my transplant, I remember receiving them from the doctor's office. But now they want me to do it at home. Seems simple enough. Just nervous because I've never done it before. Any tips?

Tagged:

1 - 16 of 16 Other Answers

• TServoldTransplant Patient

Is this an intravenous injection or a subcutaneous? Epogen is used for anemia, right? I think I got it via IV after my transplant. The infusion center nurse talked to me about possibly needing to maintain at home after my initial round in the infusion center. It seemed simple enough, but I was coming from a T1D background and subcutaneous injections had been a part of my life for so long. I am curious if it burns like the IV push, though.

August 30, 2023
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

It's a subcutaneous. This will definitely be my first time doing any subcutaneous on my own. Before the transplant, I remember those injections would burn when pushed through. I am wondering the same thing now. Someone giving it and it burns is one thing. But I am concerned if I am doing it my reaction will be to stop.

August 30, 2023
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

remember the tips and tricks that worked well during IV... hot packs were my go-to. or warm blankets, or heating pad. Also, the vein reacts very differently than a sub-Q. That doesn't mean there won't be any burning, but quite possibly less. I think it's worth asking the question here, and from your providers too. I had an insulin that would burn during injection, and I just had to learn to push slow and take my time. In my experience SubQ injections really aren't bad. I have done some vitamins, and insulin.

August 30, 2023

Cool. Thank you for the tips. I will get more info from the specialty pharmacy today. I will ask about the burning. I will find the courage. I am sure once I get past my initial fear and just do it, I will be fine. I was watching videos on YouTube this morning on how to do it. Haha.

August 30, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I've never had Epogen shots but I did have to do my own injections of medications immediately post transplant, and I remember feeling the exact same way. Usually a medical staff or my caregiver would do them for me, and the first time I actually had to do it on my own I was terrified.

Having someone with you the first time helps, even if its just for moral support! I found I really had to hype myself up and give myself a pep talk the first few times. I looked in the mirror and went all drill sergeant. 😅 The mental block is the biggest part, because it doesn't seem natural, but I found once I got over that hurdle it was all pretty easy.

August 30, 2023
  • DebTransplant Patient

This is definitely something new for me. I’ve never heard of this treatment however I did have to have several pints of blood for anemia about 6 months post op. I’ve had fertility injections but my best friend did those for me. I hope you do well Jeanmarie. Let us know how it goes!!

August 30, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

i used to give myself epo weekly - after my transplant I don’t anymore… no issues to inject but I am a former t1d so injections are pretty easy for me

August 30, 2023

@AliEm14 I think getting some moral support from one of the nurses for the first time might be a good idea. Haha, I will go drill sergeant too when I need to.

@Deb I caught a virus that damaged my bone marrow. I have a really hard time making hemoglobin. I was getting blood transfusions every 2 to 3 weeks. But they have added to my antibody problem. So, we are going to try these Epo injections. They did not work in the past, but my doctors thought we should give it a try to take some of the pressure off the kidney from needing to work so hard.

@Karin I will be starting with 3 per week. So I guess I will have to get used to it very quickly.

August 31, 2023

I did it! It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It did sting a little. I was super nervous. My hands were shaky. Now hopefully I can get some more energy.

August 31, 2023
  • JayTransplant Patient

After my transplant I had an issue with low WHITE cell count…it was just the beginning of the pandemic so my transplant physician called in for the injections to be sent to my home. My daughter (then a sophomore pre med major )…handled the injections in my leg….I have great insurance but the specialty pharmacy was saying it wasn’t necessary treatment! It took an extra two weeks to get it … had anyone had any similar issues after transplant with low white count ?

August 31, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Hi Jay, yes I had the same thing after my LTP I think I was on Nulusta injection for a couple of days. Also had steroid diabetes had to give myself insulin shots too. It’s a rollercoaster in the beginning of your TP.

Stay well..

September 1, 2023
  • fern22Transplant Patient

I have had low white blood cell count for a while now. It hasnt dropped to a place of major concern but they told me today that if next time i come in and its still not really moving up or finding some stability as we approach fall and winter/ flu season, we will need to talk about treatment. I do NOT want to go on prednisone as their form of "prevention". To clarify, you did epogen shots for low white cell? I thought that was mainly for red blood cells.

September 1, 2023

How did this go? Were there any major side effects?

September 1, 2023

How did this go? Were there any major side effects?

September 1, 2023
  • KouimetCare Partner

I have to give my oldest child (now 20 years old) Epogen injections (on occasion) and they also get monthly medication for their rare disease through injections.

My best advice is to do it in the stomach near the belly button. We find that it is less painful and easier to do (especially when doing yourself).

September 6, 2023

@fern22 I did not notice any side effects at all. It did sting just a little when I pushed the medicine in. I started to feel better about day 3. My labs showed a slight increase in red blood cells already. So, hopefully, it will continue in that direction.

@Kouimet Awesome! Thank you so much for the advice. I did it. And it isn't too bad. It seemed so impossible at first.

September 8, 2023