General — TransplantLyfe

General

Is there anything such as snap/sudden fatigue?

ole_ball_coachTransplant Patient
Updated September 5, 2023 in General

It has been almost 5 months since my LTP, and I'm generally doing extremely well. However, I have bouts of just a total fatigue that is almost paralizing. It can happen at any time(for no apparent reason), but usually when i'm just sitting watching TV. Has anybody experienced this? Should I be concerned? I walk several miles a day, normal fatigue is expected. Thank you in advance for your help. Also, I'm going on a train trip (my first) on the California Zephyr if anyone has any tips.

1 - 5 of 5 Replies

• TServoldTransplant Patient

I have no idea if there is any science or reason behind it but I do find that if I sit down to watch TV, especially if I am not vested in it and just looking for kind of mindless entertainment, I just fall asleep. I always just assume its because I have a busy lifestyle and that is my body and brain's way of keeping me going when I want to be and forcing me to relax when I need to. I would suggest you just mentioning it to your care team though. I know that chronic fatigue can be a reason for concern.

September 5, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Hi, the same happens to me Tservold. I am pretty active each day but some days I feel completely zapped I am having fatigue which I plan on mentioning when I return for my visit in October , I also suffer w/not sleeping well they usually blame it on the meds we take, b/f TP I never experienced not sleeping. I am almost 3yrs LTP.

Coach so glad u r doing well enjoy your trip..

September 5, 2023
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I will too. I am also relatively active. But I agree there is a different type of fatigue. I assume it's my body telling me I need a little extra rest. That is usually when I go to bed earlier.

California Zephyr sounds excellent! I would bring bottled water, snacks, and hand sanitizer. I never go anywhere without those things. Have a fun time!

September 5, 2023
  • fern22Transplant Patient

I find that if i do not have a structured morning or any morning routine, i will fall prey to being more fatigued during the day. Not sure why, maybe thats just the best way for me to function? Its definitely a new thing though.

September 5, 2023
  • ole_ball_coachTransplant Patient

Thank you all for the insights and suggestions. I truly appreciate the thoughtful posts. I try to remain active, but I had an episode at about 7am when I was having coffee. That is when I became concerned. I will mention it to my nurse when she calls with labs this week. I haven't really been concerned until recently. Thank you again for your insights.

September 6, 2023