Liver — TransplantLyfe

Liver

THC use after liver transplant

RahulTransplant Patient
September 17, 2023 in Liver

Hi I had a liver transplant approximately 2 years ago and now I am taking ediables for THC. How bad is it or can I continue using it sometimes.

1 - 11 of 11 Other Answers

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

This sounds like a great question for your medical team! I would imagine every case is different and it would depend on your unique situation. I'm also liver transplant and was told edibles are fine, as long as the thc is equal to or less than the amount of cbd. I think this also varies depending on your transplant centre, what country you're located in and what your team feels comfortable with, so definitely check with them.

September 18, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Hi Rahul, my TP center is not crazy about using cbd/hemp. they will monitor your labs a little closer, I decided not to use it but I may change my mind. Have u had good results w/using.. I am almost 3yrs. LTP💚

September 18, 2023
  • RahulTransplant Patient

Thanks a lot for your reply. I got my liver transplant at VCU Richmond Virginia US. I have my appointment on Wednesday I will definitely ask this question and update to the post

September 18, 2023

Thanks..😊

September 18, 2023
  • fern22Transplant Patient

Hi Rahul,

Im a kidney transplant recipient so - a little different- however, i’ve been a medical marijuana patient since 2017 & Maryland just made it recreational. I definitely used THC more in the past but since kidney failure, started using it more again- mainly edibles. I never smoke anymore. For post transplant, the main concern that has been brought up to me is that it can cause your anti- rejection meds to metabolize differently so I would definitely bring it up to your team so they can take that into consideration.

September 19, 2023

I went for my regular checkup and asked about THC use and it looks like my VCU centre is fine with THC but told me to avoid smoking it as it will affect lungs condition,edible is ok.

September 22, 2023

Rahul, That is good to know I am going for my check up next month I will also discuss w/them curious what is the main reason u use it.. I am desperate for something to help me sleep. Melatonin 👎👎👎👎

September 22, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Hi,

i am curious - are you using edibles for pain or for mental health?

September 26, 2023

Hi Karin,

It's relaxing and helps in sleep and kind of a help in keeping me away from alcohol.

Thanks,

Rahul

September 28, 2023

…….,

September 28, 2023
  • ShakeyjakeTransplant Patient
    February 19, 2024