General — TransplantLyfe

General

How long should we wait between getting the flu shot & COVID vaccination?…R you getting both?

JayTransplant Patient
September 26, 2023 in General

Could you please answer at least yes or no to whether you are getting both flu shot and Covid vaccination.

1 - 15 of 15 Replies

• JayTransplant Patient

I didn’t mean to ask anyone to share really personal information… I’m relatively new to the platform. I’m just getting such a great experience with people helping people.

September 26, 2023
  • coopscadoopTransplant Patient

Yes to both simultaneously. They offer this at my kidney transplant clinic.

September 26, 2023
  • DebTransplant Patient

I’m definitely getting the flu shot but I’m not really sure about the Covid. My PCP will not do them at the same time in case of a rare reaction.

September 27, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

I have decided not to have either, never started the Covid back in 2020. I am nervous to put anything else in my body.

September 27, 2023
  • Charles_Williams_SrTransplant Patient

One suggestion I read that seemed to have some merit is to get the RSV now, then the flu & Covid shots in October, based on timing maximum effectiveness with the predicted peak months of the individual infectious periods.

Personally, last week my wife and I looked at each other and agreed, “Let’s just get this done.” We both received all 3 shots (RSV, Covid, Flu) in one setting, both shoulders. Neither of us experienced any problems except for the usual local muscle soreness at the injection sites, which resolved after 3-4 days.

September 27, 2023
  • JayTransplant Patient

I appreciate all of the responses and different viewpoints. If more people could respond from the platform would be great as I’m getting ready to deal with these choices and it helps to hear different perspectives… I had my Covid antibodies checked when I went for my 4-year Transplant check up couple weeks ago.. at Cornell in NYC as I was going to join a research study… They said I didn’t qualify because my antibodies were too high. I have a lot of COVID antibodies… My last COVID vaccination bivalent shot was in May 2023… So I think the more people share it’s just really illuminating… appreciate you all so much

September 27, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

My transplant centre says minimum 6 months post transplant, I believe. Usually with vaccinations we take things on a case by case basis. I’ve had extreme reactions to vaccines in the past. I also live a relatively low risk lifestyle and take precautions in other ways so I feel less reliant on vaccines. I don’t actually know what we’re doing yet, for the flu or Covid vaccines. Just taking each new bit of information as it comes. I also haven’t had Covid yet so 🤞🏻 whatever I’m doing is working

September 27, 2023

I have to agree I live a pretty low risk life style also, have not had Covid or the flu so I agree AliEm I must being doing the same😷

September 27, 2023
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I am definitely getting both. About 10 years ago I decided to not get a flu vaccine and I regretted it. I got the flu that year and I was in the hospital for 2 weeks. I had pneumonia and became severely dehydrated. I almost lost the kidney. So since then, I think it is not worth the risk for me. Any time over the years that I caught the flu with the vaccine I recovered rather quickly. I always wait until October for the flu shot so it lasts through most of the flu season. I have an appointment on the 1st. I am due for my next covid vaccine in November.

September 28, 2023
  • Ldybug97Transplant Patient

I have gotten both vaccines

September 28, 2023
  • JayTransplant Patient

I appreciate all the responses.

October 4, 2023
  • fern22Transplant Patient

I do not feel comfortable putting anything else into my body. I have a pretty strong intuitive feeling about something that happened to me when I got the COVID vaccine but that's controversial; however, I refuse to get any more COVID shots. Flu shot on the other hand... every time I get the shot, I end up getting the Flu and its BAD. So thats also a no from me. I will remain to live my low risk, homebody life and mask when necessary.

October 15, 2023

Fern22 I absolutely agree w/you on this. I have never had a flu shot or covid vaccine. I am so resistant to put anything else in my body. I to live a low key life, masked,😷 thus far have not had Covid/flu. It’s a personal choice.

October 15, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@fern22 i think it’s interesting you noted that reaction to the flu vaccine. Every single time I’ve gotten it, I’ve ended up so sick and often had to be hospitalized.

October 16, 2023
  • ole_ball_coachTransplant Patient

I have had flu, covid and RSV vaccines over the past two weeks. The later two 48 hrs apart. Although I know that there aren risks, I still choose to err on the side of getting vaccinated.

October 17, 2023