General — TransplantLyfe

General

Water Intake

TServoldTransplant Patient
September 27, 2023 in General

On a group call tonight we were discussion how much water do you drink, and more importantly: how do you stay committed to it?

So, How do you stay committed to your water intake, and if you care to share, how much do you try to drink, daily?

Roll Call: How much water have you had today, and what time of day is it?

Tagged:

1 - 25 of 25 Replies

• TServoldTransplant Patient

It is 5:00 pm, I have had 80 oz today. Not up to my usual for this time of day.

Most days.... I get a full 40 oz in before I "treat" myself with a cup of coffee in the morning. Then, another 40 oz before lunch, and a (minimum) total of 60 oz before 9pm.

I'll have to report again tomorrow.

September 27, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Since I told y’all you could bug me if I didn’t stay accountable, here’s my pics or it didn’t happen water intake. I’m definitely implementing the timer trick

September 27, 2023
  • DebTransplant Patient

Oh dear I don’t drink enough water for sure. I’m lucky to get 32 oz in a day plus my coffee and a soda. You all continue to educate me on these things!! ❤️ I miss another call night didn’t I. I’m so sorry

September 27, 2023
  • Charles_Williams_SrTransplant Patient

One way to estimate your daily water requirement is to divide your body weight in half, then set that raw number in ounces as your “minimum” daily goal.

But, you’re right, even reaching that isn’t easy (for me). My “magic number” is 87 ounces. And, with my daily routine of a large AM coffee (12 oz), 32oz water bottle, 8oz pm coffee, and a can of sparkling water (12oz), I still come up short by 23 ounces! Fortunately, water drinks with meals closes the gap or exceeds my daily goal.

Since the research literature supports 2-3 cups of coffee/day as kidney friendly or even beneficial to the kidneys, I count it in my total.

September 28, 2023
  • coopscadoopTransplant Patient

It's 7:30pm and I've had about 90 oz for my required 75 oz. Having water visible and in many places in the house/office/car really helps remind me. Otherwise, I'm complete pants about fluid intake. Clear plastic water bottles that are just begging to be finished consistently motivates me a lot. The hurdle of going to fill the bottle up every time in all of the settings is significant enough for me to choose just not to drink it. I'm curious how others might be motivated minus the plastic...

September 28, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Hi, I know one thing I am so inspired by you all, I struggle b/c I get so full and since I have been dx w/stage 3b ckd I am retaining the fluid more so then I use to.. frustrating for sure. So proud of you all. AliEm you my friend r so precious w/the picture😊😊. I am going to try and keep up w/u all.. 👍

September 28, 2023

Melsamm,

I was recently diagnosed by my Nephrologist with stage 3 as well. I found several YouTube videos by Nephrologists on recommended dietary changes to stabilize or even reverse stage 3 CKD. Currently, I’m following their recommendations, but too early to see how well they help. If interested, search “CKD Stage 3”, “CKD”, or “Chronic Kidney Disease” on YouTube.

Indeed, the immunosuppressant medicine that saves our lives eventually can take our lives.

September 28, 2023

Hi Charles, yes I have been googling a lot on ckd thank you so much I will definitely check out the u tube videos. The immunosuppressants r taking a toll on my kidneys for sure. I am praying that they will start decreasing some of them in October.

Thanks,

September 28, 2023

Melsamm,

My kidneys took an initial hit from CellCept during my 2nd year, forcing an adjustment/substitution with Everolimus (also on Prograf since postop). All stabilized afterwards, until after an annual angiogram my BUN/Creat bumped up again. Then, earlier this year (my 5th year) I tried to feed my shrinking muscles by returning to the gym and taking protein/collagen supplements. The extra protein load from strenuous exercise (muscle micro-damage/repair) + supplements tipped me into stage 3 CKD. So, hopefully my kidneys can pull back a bit with the dietary recommendations by the YouTube Nephrologists. We’ll see. I’m 70 years old now.

September 28, 2023

Charles, I to have been on celcept 1000mg twice a day and prograf “which I take a lot for almost 3years out, but I had an acute rejection back in 11/22. My kidneys never rebounded back to normal after my LTP, the surgeon said he was concerned about my kidneys and what they would be like in 7years so they have steadily gotten worse. Like you I am staying positive. I am 63y/o and am very active to.

September 28, 2023

Melsamm,

Indeed I am VERY grateful & positive about the extra years! The past 5 years allowed me to be a crucial part of family and 3 new grandchildren (6 total), help others, and gave me the opportunity to travel around the country presenting my testimony to God’s greatness. I’ll take and use every day I’m given to inject something positive in this world, while not expecting anymore than the day I’m currently living in. Now, my hope is for your success as well.

September 28, 2023

Charles thank you so much for your kind words. Yes amen I am so very grateful/blessed each and every day especially to my donor family for making the choice they made to save my life god is so good.

I am so very happy for you to to be able to love up on those grandkids/and share your words to all ❤️❤️ you have made my day.💚

September 28, 2023
  • Marc212Transplant Patient

Here for roll call. 🫡 First forum post.(good place to start) It's currently 4:15pm, and I'm on my third 24ouncer.

September 28, 2023
  • Ldybug97Transplant Patient

I ordered a smart water bottle that tracks how much water you drink You set the goal you want and it alerts you through spinning, lighting and sounding

September 28, 2023
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

@Ldybug97 That is really neat! I think I will get everyone in my family one of those.

@Marc212 Welcome to TransplantLyfe!

I haven't measured the amount of water I drink for so long. But I remember the first year or so after transplant it was a struggle trying to drink the amount the doctors wanted me to drink. But now 17 years later I am so used to it. I always have my tumbler filled with water and take it everywhere. In the car, on a walk, gardening, bedside, dining table. It's my support tumbler, haha. I buy cute ones from Starbucks, so I want to use them all the time. I usually have one cup of black coffee in the morning and the rest of the day is water only. If I feel like something sparkly I'll have a La Croix.

September 28, 2023

@Jeanmarie I got it on Amazon for the 28.00.. There are others that are more expensive but I think it will help me.

September 28, 2023
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

Loving this discussion! It's 8:32 pm and I got 120 oz in today! (I was short yesterday, so I caught up today). Living in CO it's very common (maybe its like this in other places too) to carry around a water bottle. I call mine my emotional support water. I have several different styles that are 32, 40, and even 64 oz. They all have fun stickers and are different colors. I'm lucky that I live in an area with good tap water. I never buy bottled water. It feels like a sense of accomplishment to drink all my water in a day. My coworkers have kind of started a "competition" to see who can drink the most. Within reason of course. The gal training for an Ironman tends to get the most in during her workday.

September 29, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I just wanted you all to know that yesterday I sat down and forgot my water bottle. I didn’t want to get up and get it. And then I had you all in the back of my head, holding me accountable. So I got my water bottle. I aim for 2 water bottles a day and got it all done yesterday!

September 29, 2023
  • Marc212Transplant Patient

There's nothing like that first sip of cool, clear water to start the day. Stay hydrated, my friends.🥤

October 3, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

great reminder! I've been sick the last few days, which has made it really hard to keep up with my water intake (or take in anything in general!). I find that when I'm under the weather, warm water with lemon hits the spot, so I'm off to make a mug

October 3, 2023

@AliEm14 I hope feeling better… Just try your best to drink a little

October 3, 2023
  • coopscadoopTransplant Patient

That's a brilliant device! Does it continue to work and motivate you? I can image it might become like an alarm you sleep through.

October 3, 2023

It actually works for me. I set the schedule depending on my appointments…. Sometimes I get busy and forget to drink and the alarm lights up and rings .. It also sends notifications on my phone

October 3, 2023
  • fern22Transplant Patient

Wait this is actually pretty cool. I feel like ive been slowing down on my water consumption lately.

October 15, 2023
  • Kidneyguy81Transplant Patient

I’m having a hard time transitioning from dialysis diet to new kidney diet. I’m used to liter a day only to now as much as I want with the new kidney. I’m not perfect but I try and drink min. of 100oz a day.

Since my last two transplanted Kidneys I was always taught, if you can see through it, you can drink it.

I always have water wherever I go.

November 8, 2023