Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Fistula ligation

YovanniTransplant Patient
October 3, 2023 in Kidney

Questions to anyone that has a fistula ligation.

1. Did your doctor recommend to get it removed after a year or at all?

2. If you didn't get it removed did it keep growing?

3. How was the recovery?

Thank you.

1 - 5 of 5 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Jay didn't you have experience with this? Any insights?

October 3, 2023
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

If you are referring to an AV fistula ligation? I never removed mine. It was never discussed. I received mine about 25 years ago. It eventually stopped working after about 5 years or so. I still cannot use that arm for anything though.

October 4, 2023
  • YovanniTransplant Patient

@Jeanmarie the surgeon said it would keep growing and i should get it removed if i wanted to. I just want to be able to work out and lift comfortably.

October 5, 2023
  • JayTransplant Patient

yes. I had my fistula ligated on May 24, 2023. It was recommended by my local nephrologist who is chief of practice there and a very smart guy. He told me that at year one or 2 or 3 ...I waited until almost 3.5 years post transplant to have my A/V fistula ligated. Ligation involved disconnecting the vein from the artery in the arm by a vascular surgeon.

My "thrill" or the feeling of the pulsationt to the touch from the rushing of the blood from my fistula in my right wrist is gone. I had the surgery back at my transplant hospital in NYC.

The reason it was recommended was to avoid any possibility of long term cardiac damage that can occur in post-transplant patients. It is involved with saving the left ventricle from the strain of the extra pumping. A lot of literature in medical journals from studies have shown this trend. Please consult with your doctors as each patient is unique. I had no cardiac issues and wanted to avoid any in future.

I had some post surgery blood pressure elevation which has now stabilized.

It was done with local anesthesia "twilight".. i was mostly awake and answering commands during the 45 -60 minute same day going home surgery. I couldn't lift more than 5-8 lbs with that arm for 6 weeks as advised by surgeon. I am glad i did it. The medical director nephrologist at transpalnt center intially said "keep it forever"... However, I took seriously the current research and my local doctor's redommendation. It was approved by my transplant team and they referred me to one of their hospital vascular surgeons.

I have full use of my arm where fistula was. Can lift and do everything with that arm where before i was restricted. I asked for a follow-up ultrasound which was not required and it show all normal blood flow restored.

In my case also my tacrolimus meds needed to be reduced post ligation which may have had nothing to do with surgery but occured right after surgery. I now take less mg's of it...again maybe just coincidental.

October 11, 2023
  • YovanniTransplant Patient

@Jay great information thank you! I'm not even going to wait a year, I have it scheduled for December 1st already for that same reason that cardiac problems may accur.

My concern was being back on dyalisis and having to use my other arm, another surgery but i think if it comes to that i will do pd instead.

October 16, 2023