Pancreas — TransplantLyfe

Pancreas

Anyone else have a Pancreas-Only transplant?

brandonmTransplant Patient
January 27, 2021 in Pancreas

I’ve only talked to two people that had a pancreas-only transplant. No other organs were transplanted.

I needed one because if hypoglycemia unawareness and brittle diabetes after all other treatments were exhausted.

What’s your story?

TransplantLyfe Favorite

• KarinTransplant Patient

Hi,

Although I had a kidney followed by a pancreas, I would do pancreas only in a heartbeat now even if my kidneys were great. I was brittle as well, and hypo unaware - I would be close to passing out often, and did so a few times in fact. I worried about driving, going to sleep and of course about complications...

January 28, 2021

1 - 6 of 6 Other Answers

• brandonmTransplant Patient

Brittle Diabetes is not something to mess around with. So glad to hear you were able to have a pancreas as well!

January 28, 2021
  • BaxterOther

How long to find a viable pancreas? Where did you have it done?

March 17, 2021
  • brandonmTransplant Patient

Hey, Baxter. I was on the waitlist about two months and had the transplant done at Mayo Clinic in Arizona

March 17, 2021
  • AliEm14Transplant Patient

I didn’t actually know pancreas only transplants were a thing. You all are teaching me something new every day!

March 19, 2021
  • brookegurradTransplant Patient

Just jumping into this discussion to learn more! I am starting to have blood sugar issues 16 years post-liver transplant, and I'd love to know what your initial stages of illness looked like.

October 13, 2021