General — TransplantLyfe

General

Transplant post care stay

Berriosa1234Transplant Patient
Updated October 20, 2023 in General

Does anyone know of any type of post transplant care housing units anywhere in the country? Like a ronald mcdonald house? I've heard of some hotels giving patients and their caregivers discounts at local hotels near the transplant centers, but i would love if we could create some kind of housing for pts and their loved ones after transplant, i know there is a need there.

Here is an idea of a place that works with veterans called the fisher house foundation. (fisherhouse.org)

Looking forward to the dialogue

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Denise_R knows about post transplant housing! She's educated me on so much relating to this topic

October 19, 2023
  • DebTransplant Patient

At my transplant hospital they gave us a list of places to stay that offered discounts to patients, caregivers and family. Also a list of restaurants that delivered and offered discounts as well. There is also a place that was 3 blocks from the hospital and they offered a shuttle to and from the hospital and a special floor for transplant patients only. It’s much like a McDonald house with a kitchen and several casual spaces, a library things to make you feel at home. Pretty nice. Even had nurses on call. Always ask your coordinator or doctor to see if they can help. I’ve found it doesn’t hurt to ask. Also check your insurance, my husbands pays for gas food and partial lodging.

October 20, 2023
  • Berriosa1234Transplant Patient

HI Deb, Thanks. I am actually interested in creating something like this for Kidney patients and their caregivers, also wanting to create a space where families can have a place to play games, make meals.Also have a place to feel supported. I know my insurance currently covers x amt of dollars for travel and lodging. I appreciate your insight

October 20, 2023
  • DebTransplant Patient

What a wonderful idea! The place I spoke of was called the Doorways ( check it out on line) It was an old motel and they made it into such a nice place. Like I said it had a huge kitchen, many sitting areas to relax watch tv and visit with others. Many night a week different organizations would provide dinner for everyone staying there. It was quite nice. Parking was the biggest problem, especially for a person in a wheelchair. But good luck with this. Again I think it’s a wonderful idea!!

October 20, 2023
  • Denise_RTransplant Patient

I'm so sorry! For some reason notifications are going to my spam folder. Housing is a huge issue and depends on where you are in the world. Some centers have good access to housing. Some areas, like California, just don't. There are nonprofits around, like Heartfelt Help Foundation in Northern California that provides assistance with housing.

November 10, 2023
  • Berriosa1234Transplant Patient

Hi Thanks for responding. I have seen some of these nonprofits, I am interested to see how to create the non-profit and look for ways to fund one here in Kentucky. I also want to work on creating a space where tx pts and their families can have home cooked meal and they can play games or watch movies. (to help them take their mind off the transplant follow up)

November 15, 2023
  • Denise_RTransplant Patient

That's a beautiful idea! My only advice would be to see if there's anyone else doing anything similar in Kentucky or even a neighboring state that you could partner with. Expanding what exists is infinitely easier than beginning from scratch. If you can find no one who is doing what you see a need for, then go for it! Not meaning to discourage you at all, serving others is the noblest of passions, it's just so much better in community!

November 15, 2023