General β€” TransplantLyfe

General

Does it seem surreal? Sickness, op, recovery and rehab!!

ole_ball_coachTransplant Patient
Updated October 26, 2023 in General

What has your journey been like?

Mine sometimes seems like a journey of years and sometimes seems like a only a short time. I do know that the people on this forum have truly made it a lot more comforting.

1 - 9 of 9 Replies

• KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Totally agree - some days it seem like this has been life forever and some days I feel like I have never been sick!!

October 28, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

I have to agree also I feel like I was doing so great 1year ago then had my rejection felt discouraged, today I am feeling stronger still on a lot of immunosuppressants but I know in time that will get better.

You all r great !πŸ˜ŠπŸ’š

October 28, 2023
  • DebTransplant Patient

I often feel like it was all a dream. I don’t remember being that sick until I look at photos or run in to someone I knew from the hospital or I look at my scars. I’m so thankful for a new beginning I guess I try to put the past behind me. I’m so blessed to be a part of this group, you all keep me grounded.

October 28, 2023

I have to agree Deb, I just had my 3year LTP versary I sat and thought to myself how that day began on 10/26/20 from the start of the phone call at 1:27am. Wow and to see how far I am today very blessed, grateful I live each day to the fullest. I was able to send a short note to my donor family letting them know I was thinking of them they responded back. Made me cry but it also made me feel good to hear from them. That was my celebration for my 3years, friends have moved on, my precious Dad who was my caregiver passed away, I know we would have had a celebration for sureπŸ’• my brother who is my biggest supporter lives in Fl.πŸ₯² like Deb said I have TRANSPLANTLYFE πŸ’šβ€οΈπŸ’šβ€οΈ

October 28, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

100% it all still feels surreal. I can relate to the feeling like it was years ago and also feeling like it just happened. Someone asked me how old I was the other day and I said 23, which I'm not but that's how old I was at the time of my transplant. It's like my brain froze there and it catches at that part every time.

I've never thought of myself being past my transplant, though. I tend to think of it more as a continually unfolding thing that I've molded my life around, even though the actual surgical event was a while ago. I think maybe my perspective is different because I was born with my illness, so I never had a defined before and after moment. I don't have a life where I was "healthy" to look back on, so how I've defined everything in proximity to my transplant looks different.

October 30, 2023
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

Even 8.5 years after I received my #GiftofLife (Heart transplanted on 4/20/2015) - every now & then, I still pinch myself from disbelief that I'm alive!

Extremely #Lucky βœ”οΈ

Eternally #Grateful βœ”οΈ

Completely #blessed βœ”οΈ

October 31, 2023
  • ole_ball_coachTransplant Patient

Extremely #Lucky βœ”οΈ

Eternally #Grateful βœ”οΈ

Completely #blessed βœ”οΈ

Thanks Sdey0522, that really describes my sentiments as well.

October 31, 2023

Happy Grateful/ blessed Thanksgiving to all of my TP friends a little early I knowπŸπŸ¦ƒ, Sdey0522 I will have to agree w/all you just shared πŸ˜ŠπŸ’šβ€οΈ

October 31, 2023
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

You're welcome, @ole_ball_coach & @Mel9300 πŸ‘ πŸ‘

October 31, 2023