Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Dialysis centers

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
October 27, 2023 in Kidney

How many of you have been to a dialysis center that was warm and friendly feeling? My experience was pretty dismal but the personnel was very nice to me - the environment not so much!

Tagged:

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

• Berriosa1234Transplant Patient

Yes as I actively am on dialysis I find that my clinic is very bland. The nurses and techs are wonderful, but the setting isn't great. Our chairs have heating element so its warm at least during the cold months. I would love to see a more modern look to the clinic and have a warm atmosphere visually

November 15, 2023
  • fern22Transplant Patient

What do you (in general) feel could make a treatment center more warm and welcoming? There’s a lot of energy held in these spaces. A lot of pain, grief, and trauma. A lot of uncertainty and fear. A lot of pure fight/flight/survival.

November 16, 2023
  • Berriosa1234Transplant Patient

I think a treatment center could have warmer colors on the walls, more welcoming positive affirmations, maybe try to make it as comfortable as possible for the patient physically. maybe make the chairs bigger more comfortable

November 16, 2023
  • darth_jamesTransplant Patient

I can empathize with the dismal aura of a dialysis clinic.

The staff at a dialysis center is 90 percent of the clinic experience. Techs run the gamut of professionalism and empathy while nurses should be calm and collected but that’s not the case in my experience. Doctors spend an allotted segment of time with patients and patient questions often go unanswered.

The dialysis clinic could be redesigned to be more calming.

The typical layout of the dialysis center could be revised to give the patient more privacy while improving patient observation by the staff. After giving it sone thought I have drawn a sketch of a type of clinic that makes improvements in several areas while following Medicare standards.

The doctor/ director of the clinic could make the decision to buy heated, more comfy, ergonomic chairs but Medicare reimbursements are too often considered over the patients’ comfort.

My advice is to consider home dialysis. Hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis might be better for you. It is your right as a dialysis patient to request home dialysis.

November 21, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

@darth_james i agree with you and would love to see your sketch - I didn’t see it in the feed? It seems simple but obviously it is not being done so must be hard!!

November 29, 2023
  • darth_jamesTransplant Patient

Basically- all of the dialysis patients would be in a circle around the nurse’s station. The staff could plainly view the patients. The patient’s area could have walls to either side of their seat. Walls could be installed between patients that are almost as tall as the dialysis machine. The nurses should be able to see lights and other vitals of other patients if they are assisting another patient. It’s about having more privacy and the nurses could access the patients more quickly instead of caring for patients in rows.

There would be more space for a patient to ask questions when the doctor or nurse is present.

November 29, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

I agree re the privacy and the access and visibility for the nurse

November 30, 2023