General — TransplantLyfe

General

Alternative Medicine

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
Updated June 3, 2021 in General

I've been talking with a friend of mine who is a transplant nurse at the hospital where I got my transplant. We connected through something totally unrelated to transplants, and we've recently been talking a lot about the intersection between western and traditional medicine. She's had a number of health issues herself (not a transplant) and has found a lot of relief in things like chinese and herbal medicines, and she's really passionate about bringing alternative healing methods to her patients.

I've also been digging into alternative medicine as a way to heal my body since surgery. I know they tell us to be weary of different herbs, as there isn't as much documentation on how those can affect us with our transplant meds, but I'm curious has anyone tried anything that would fit into the realm of alternative medicine? How have you found it?

Personally I've done a lot of massage and myofascial release, breathwork, essential oils, using foods and spices for their health benefits, and of course I'm taking a ton of supplements with the all clear from my transplant team (Vit.D, Vit B12, calcium, magnesium, iron...) I'm also really curious about acupuncture and would love to try that one day.