General — TransplantLyfe

General

Digestion / Bloating

fern22Transplant Patient
November 20, 2023 in General

Ive had on and off 'issues' with digestion. Bloating and/or constipation being the main ones. What are some things that work for you to aid with this (if you also experience)? Ive been doing lots of research on castor oil, specifically for transplant patients.

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

• JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I've had lots of digestion issues over the years. Depending on the issue I will use castor oil topically. I really love peppermint oil for constipation. I will even use castor oil as the carrier oil. It usually helps. I also started taking a probiotic daily which eliminated many ongoing issues. About a year ago I started making ginger shots. That has been a game-changer for me.

I love castor oil for my deep wrinkles too, cause I'm getting old. Haha.

November 21, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Yes, I am a big believer in the probiotics to. I have never tried the ginger shots “interesting tho”

November 21, 2023
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

I eat a lot of ginger. Fresh, grated in tea, candied, sliced, you name it; I eat it. Curious about what others say too though.

November 21, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I've had the worst digestive/GI issues post transplant (I also have other conditions that affect my GI tract, all of which have not taken too kindly to transplant). I do have prescription meds for my digestive issues, should I need them, but I do try to do everything I can to manage my symptoms without relying on the meds.

I also use castor oil topically, as well as ginger and peppermint extract. Yoga, massage, generally trying to eat a pretty healthy diet, drinking a ton of water, heat packs, pressure points... I feel like I've tried it all (and have yet to find something wonderfully effective)

November 21, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

I have always had a cast iron stomach but since my TP I am having GI issues, I find my self eating tums. I am going to try the ginger next.

November 21, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

@fern22 my biggest issue is diarrhea - some nights ten times and some days 12! Not a good quality of life and I worry about nutrition… I eat often and small but haven’t found the magic bullet yet / I believe my fortis is one of the reasons…

November 25, 2023
  • DebTransplant Patient

I’m with Karen, I eat and within 10 minutes I have to go. No matter what or how much I eat same thing every time. I still gain weight though…. Makes no sense to me at all. 😞 I am on Prilosec, I have too much acid in my stomach.

November 25, 2023