General — TransplantLyfe

General

Being overly critical

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
July 28, 2021 in General

I wonder if any of you out there feel that the transplant has made you more critical toward yourself and others?

I think mine have - I hold myself to higher standards since my life was saved by other peoples’ sacrifices and I was privileged to access optimal care - when others may die in the same situation.

I have to make an impact and I cannot rest until I have / this is sometimes hard on me since I always could do a little better / work a little harder and be more dedicated and innovative - this does extend to my family and colleagues too although not as much as for myself. I do not accept complacency or laziness - sometimes I just don’t understand how people can dismiss what is the best option or the most impactful measure.

those are the times when wise friends tell me to step back and be patient - the world operates in mysterious ways and not everything is a straight line!

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I feel like my transplant did the opposite. It opened me up to a whole world of freedom. Perhaps because my life was so rigid and under such strict control pre transplant and after surgery a whole new world opened up to me. I get to live my life now however I choose. There’s not the same rigidity. I tend to take more of the approach of even if it’s not the best or most highly recommended idea I’m going to do it and we’ll deal with the fallout later. It might end up being terrible, but what if it’s amazing? Ultimately I feel like I’ve found a deeper sense of trust in my body, a thirst to experience life in ways that isn’t constantly medical, which is what my life was before.

I love this discussion and am curious to see how other people responded to their transplants.

July 29, 2021
  • DebTransplant Patient

I’m opposite AliEm. I was never sick at all, except for infertility issues and when I got sick it was a shock. I went to the doctor for skin issues and bam I’m seeing a Gastro doc and test and more test. Then the diagnoses, so now I’m kinda scared wondering am ok now, will my body throw something else at me?? COVID sure doesn’t help. But I’m a person of faith and I’ve got this far so I’m trying to stay strong and take of my body!!!

July 29, 2021