General — TransplantLyfe

General

MRI

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
April 1, 2022 in General

I just had a two hr mri experience plus another hour waiting for the procedure. I hated every moment of it. From the point of entering into the hospital and feeling chills immediately but not being able to drink anything warm or eat anything, to lying totally still with terrible pain the entire time! My pain is the worst when lying down so this was torture! I am also claustrophobic and in need of exits

in every situation to feel safe that this was a terrible experience.

any else hating MRIs??

and WHY do they have to lower the temp in hospitals and esp in dressing rooms and procedure rooms?

1 - 12 of 12 Replies

• Porsche1990Transplant Patient

MRI's are at best uncomfortable.

I have ask for pillows and a blanket while having the procedure.

You also might ask for a Valium or a Xanax a hour before the procedure.

April 1, 2022
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

I have to ask for warm blankets with everything I do in the hospital. Its always so cold. I recently did a stress test in my hoodie. The tech couldn't believe I was going to run on a treadmill in sweats. I'm sorry you had a lousy experience today. the nerves never help the chills and the chills never help the nerves, and then to add pain! Its a vicious cycle.

April 1, 2022
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

totally agree @TServold !!

April 1, 2022
  • Saveddonna55Transplant Patient

Karin, you look cute in your MRI attire! You have to ask prior to the MRI from the ordering physician for Valium and have someone drive you. It might also help decrease some discomfort. Facilities have warm blankets and you can ask for more than one! You are right, it can be uncomfortable especially when you are in pain. As you can tell, all of us responding agree! Good luck on your next one if you need one.

April 1, 2022
  • Alalleycat2Transplant Patient

Sorry you had a bad experience. The hospital keep the environment cool to cut down on growth of germs. I always ask for a pillow which helps me. Can you go have your MRI at a place that do Open MRI’s? Those help..

April 1, 2022
  • Saveddonna55Transplant Patient

Good idea, Alalleycat2! Open MRI is a good idea.

April 1, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

I must be strange - I much prefer MRI’s to any other kind of screening. I’d take an MRI over an ultrasound any day. The worst part is if I have to get an IV, otherwise I just settle in and relax. I never remember being cold waiting for MRI’s, if anything I’m always hot. I’m sorry you had a bad experience. Hope you got extra care after

April 2, 2022
  • DediazabreuTransplant Patient

Hi Karin usually in the hospital they usually have blankets or sheets usually closing my eyes until the procedure its done it works for me or meditating while the procedure has helped me a lot hope you’re doing well and good luck with everything

April 2, 2022

@Alalleycat2 i didn’t know there was an open MRI test thank you for the info

April 2, 2022
  • sjsTransplant Patient

I too am claustrophobic, so when I had to have an MRI, I asked for a Big Bore MRI machine which is a larger tube than the standard MRI. It is NOT an open MRI, (which does not give you as good of results). The Big Bore did helped me along with some Valium prior to the test.

April 2, 2022
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

So much great advice everyone! Thank you!! They literally had to roll me out of the tiny tube for a while due to me having a panic attack and anyone who knows me can validate that I am anything but hysterical! Then during the two hrs inside I listened to andrea Bocelli and relived every relationship I messed up in my life and cried streams of tears - cathartic at best! After I had to run to a lunch meeting but since it took longer I missed it and had to apologize and felt awful! Spent the afternoon at work and slowly felt better….

April 2, 2022

@Karin im so sorry hun hope that you find a good solution in all these comments have a blessing day

April 2, 2022