General — TransplantLyfe

General

Joint issues as a transplant patient

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
April 11, 2022 in General

I have been having pain in my hip for months - actually for years - l now kick myself that I didn’t seek help earlier. MRI showed a total lack of cartilage and literally bone against bone - plus severe joint inflammation so lots of fluid.

my ortho says this is due to my “systemic failure” - meaning my end stage kidney disease, transplants, long standing type 1 diabetes and it felt awful to hear that. My body is breaking down, joint by joint, organ by organ and all I can do is to try to fix it as the disasters keep coming?

Not my style to give up or to resign to bitterness but wow - sometimes I am angry at what life has thrown me!!

1 - 8 of 8 Replies

• KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

@JimGleason_TRIO fantastic news! Can you run w your new hips? Jump?

April 11, 2022
  • Transplant314Transplant Patient

I find myself with knee pain, ankle pain which is bone on bone contact pre transplant and other aches and pains. I am hesitant to blame it all on CKD and my meds. When I ask my transplant team they never seem to acknowledge that the meds could be the cause or partial cause. I push through the pain

April 11, 2022
  • Saveddonna55Transplant Patient

Oh Karin sorry to hear you are having pain. Sometimes we wait cause we hope it goes away until we can’t handle it anymore. You sure can be angry. It gets tiring one thing after another but I know the best thing is to get this treatment by your orthopedic surgeon and then you will feel better in the long run. People have this problem many times over and haven’t gone thru what you have. Hang in there, Karin.

April 11, 2022
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Thank you @Saveddonna55 !! Your comments help a lot - xx

April 12, 2022
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

@JimGleason_TRIO how long did it take you to be flexible and do faster walking? Did your transplant affect the surgery?

April 12, 2022
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Sounds amazing @JimGleason_TRIO . I guess I was worried about risk of infection and kidney function

April 12, 2022
  • brookegurradExpert
    Transplant Patient

Like Shakira says, “Hips don’t lie.” 😂

This is not relevant to the post, just the song that pops in my head every time we talk hips.

April 13, 2022