Liver — TransplantLyfe

Liver

April 19th is World Liver Day!

AliEm14Expert
Transplant Patient
Updated April 17, 2023 in Liver

It's world liver day! The more I learn about the liver, the more I fall in love with this organ (and no, I'm not just biased)

I've had three livers in this body: the native liver I was born with that caused so much chaos with just one little enzyme missing, the liver I got from my living donor @Jacob_Hiebert and the liver I have now, transplanted from a deceased donor. 3 very different stories, and you know what they say about third times the charm?

Here's to Live(r), Laugh and Love. I'm a liver and a fighter. (and no, I never run out of liver puns)

Interested in the process of being a living donor? Check out the living donor toolkit https://www.myast.org/patient-information/living-donor-toolkit

1 - 3 of 3 Replies

• lescp3Care Partner

Thank you so much for sharing your stories with us, Ali!!!

April 19, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@AliEm14 , you're a true #warrior 👍 You're also an #inspiration. Thank you for sharing your incredible journey.

Ps. @Jacob_Hiebert is an #amazing #donorhero for saving your life! 💙🙏💚

#livingdonorsrock 👍

Also sharing a link.

Take care & best wishes with your ♻️ Liverly 💕 #giftoflife 😉

April 19, 2022
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

World Liver Day (WLD) is a global healthcare event commemorated every year on the 19th of April with the intent to raise awareness about liver disease in the general public. The activities conducted on this health awareness day are organized with the associations of various international and local governing groups. World Liver Day focuses on activities pertaining to educating people about the severity, early detection and prevention of liver diseases. 

Being the second largest and most vital organ in the human body, the liver plays several functions that include but are not limited to metabolism, digestion, immunity, filtration of toxins, and storage of vitamins, minerals, glucose etc. Although the liver has the unique characteristic of self-healing, where it can regrow or regenerate after being damaged up to 60 to 70%, any abnormalities in the liver might lead to serious health complications.

World Liver Day 2023 Theme

This year, 2023, the World Liver Day theme is "Be Vigilant, Do Regular Liver Check-Up, Fatty Liver Can Affect Anyone." The theme focuses to emphasise the practise of regular liver check-ups, as fatty liver can affect anyone, irrespective of the risk factors such as obesity (overweight), insulin resistance (diabetes), and excess consumption of alcohol. Recent studies in India have shown 75% of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD; liver disease caused in patients who drink little or no alcohol) is observed in patients with low body mass index (<25 kg/m2).

April 17, 2023