General — TransplantLyfe

General

This summer..

Sdey0522Transplant Patient
June 24, 2022 in General

Please be careful. The threat / concern is real.

#summervibes #summer #skincare #transplantjourney #awareness #protection #transplantstrong #skincareroutine #cancer #cancerawareness

#skincancer #Warning 

1 - 12 of 12 Replies

• KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

This was me a few months ago - skin cancer!!!

June 24, 2022
  • Porsche1990Transplant Patient

I'm 9.5 years out from my liver transplant. I have had 2 "mohs" surgeries on my scalp. I am spot checked every 4 months by the dermatologist. Everyone be diligent about your skin care. Wear sun screen.

I hope your doing well.

June 24, 2022
  • StaceywrightTransplant Patient

Wow! I had no idea the percentage of sun cancer was so high! Doctors have mentioned that I’d be more at risk after transplant but nothing like up to 80% of immunosuppressed patient with skin cancer at 20 years. Thanks for the warning. I live in FL and am in the sun year round. I only wear sunscreen if I’ll be out for an extended duration. I can see that will have to change - and hats will be my new best friend. My scalp burns easily.

June 24, 2022
  • JimGleason_TRIOTransplant Patient

And I hope you will have the same healing of that nose surgery as I did many years ago. Today, nobody can see any scar on my nose. My message adding to Karin's, don't be afraid, get it checked and taken care of by a dermatologist who knows transplants!

June 25, 2022
  • JimGleason_TRIOTransplant Patient

Skin cancer is serious. While we too often think it's not important, after all 'it's only on the skin (surface)". No, that cancer can travel inward and once in the bloodstream, can result in cancer elsewhere in our bodies. Out 29 years from a heart transplant, I am a long-term survivor of several cancer types (prostate, kidney, and too many skin cancers). As a way of giving back for my donated heart, I led a seven-year TRIO-sponsored project to raise awareness of the increased risk for post-transplant cancers which resulted in a world-class online educational resource you can find at https://TRIOwebPTC.org

Check it out and take the recommended best practice actions.

Here are two TRIO members promoting this resource at the TRIO Maryland annual educational summit . . .

June 25, 2022
  • Sdey0522Transplant Patient

Thanks @JimGleason_TRIO

Good resource for the #transplant #community ✔️

June 26, 2022

Indeed, @Staceywright - your new BFF is mine too! 👍

June 26, 2022

@Porsche1990 , Thank you for sharing your experience & for the tips !

What are your plans to celebrate your 10th Liverversary ? 🎉 🙏

#stayhealthy

June 26, 2022

@Karin - thank you so much for sharing about your experience with the beast 😥 . We all hope you won't have any more encounters with it. 🤞 🙏 🍀

June 26, 2022
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Are there stats for this based on country? I’m curious if countries where it’s colder/less sun have lower rates than places where it’s warmer and people are potentially getting more sun.

June 27, 2022
  • JeanmarieTransplant Patient

I live in San Diego. So this is a year round issue. I wear sunscreen every day. I get yearly skin check by my Dermatologist. And if I'm going to be in the sun for a while I wear UV clothing. I also have Lupus so UV clothing is popular as to not cause a flare. They do have cute UV clothing on Amazon.

August 5, 2022

Glad to hear @Jeanmarie 👍

Did you partake in the Games this year?

August 9, 2022