General โ€” TransplantLyfe

General

Anyone out there that experienced liver and kidney Transplant at the same time?

WarriorLady61Care Partner
December 10, 2022 in General

Hello everyone, I am a caregiver for my mother who is only 61 and just a month ago received a liver & kidney transplant. She is still a bit confused & in rehab which I’m finding so hard to understand anyone out there that can tell me how their recovery was and how your mental fogginess was or if it went away pretty quick? I’m wondering if it’s tacro related. She was even scratching her wound and it ruptured open.

TransplantLyfe Favorite

• A_RayTransplant Patient

I am 5 years+ with a liver/kidney Tplant. There are sooo many variables that affect recovery. In my opinion, how sick your mom was at the time of Tplant has a lot to do with recovery. Of course, the system sort of works against you as the sickest is first in line for an organ. I was very ill at the time of my Tplant...they were pulling 7 - 10 liters of fluid from my abdomen every 2 weeks toward the end. I had lost over 50 lbs in a very short period of time. I was very close to being terminal. So, I had to sort of dig out of a deep hole toward recovery. How long your mom was in surgery has a bit to do with it as well. I was in surgery/anesthesia for around 24 hours...that's long time. Then are pain meds, probably a fentanyl cocktail which can really affect your psyche. And, there is the "wake up" time for the new kidney. Mine was a bit slow to kick in, so I had a few sessions or dialysis - that means there are toxins floating around in your blood stream. Add to that a LOT of new, very powerful meds into her system. All things combined, it adds up to recovery time. In about 90 days she will really perk up. What helped me a lot was that I was determined to get walking and moving. There was a labyrinth of tunnels in the hospital I was at, so I went walking in the tunnels. It even really, really helped my psyche. I would even go down to the hospital cafeteria and eat lunch there, enjoying just being with other people. Before long I was taking walks outside in the sunshine and fresh air. Bottom line, hang in there with mom, love her a lot, be patient and encouraging and her body will come around. Today, I pretty much do whatever I want, given my limitations from being 71. I still walk a mile a day! God bless and Merry Christmas. P.S. faith is a great help in recovering too! My favorite verse was, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" when I was going through a tough time. Phillipians 4:13

December 13, 2022

1 - 6 of 6 Other Answers

• I haven't experienced both liver and kidney transplants. Just here to say that has to be incredibly difficult to have her still be confused and in rehab. It is probably the best place for her as she continues to recover with medical providers close by watching for and helping with recovery. Hang in there!

December 12, 2022
  • WarriorLady61Care Partner

Thank you @authenticallyapril for your well wishes. I hope she can have a speedy recovery.. I’m always thinking and afraid of “ what is next” or what next could go wrong.. ๐Ÿฅน

December 12, 2022
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

I hope all goes well w/your mom she has been thru a lot, maybe it’s from the anesthesia med. I have heard that can affect each patient differently.

hang in there๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ’š

December 12, 2022
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Amen amen, your mom can do it, just give her some time..

December 13, 2022
  • WarriorLady61Care Partner

@A_Ray thank you so much for this you have definitely help validate my feelings and worries.She was quite ill and had lost a lot of weight too.. she was getting weekly paracentesis too. I am so appreciative of you sharing your journey .. I’m so happy that you are recovering and doing well! I have definitely turned to my faith to help me stay sane and at peace with whatever may come our way through this journey of recovery.

December 14, 2022