General — TransplantLyfe

General

Being listed for a transplant at multiple centers

Sdey0522Expert
Transplant Patient
March 13, 2023 in General

How many of you have experience with being listed for a transplant at multiple centers?

Please share your experiences as to whether it was it an easy process? What were some of the roadblocks/challenges encountered ?

1 - 8 of 8 Replies

• ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

I love this question. I was only listed at one at a time because I knew it would be too challenging to travel to a distant center while my husband is active duty Air Force and I had 4 very young children at home. I was also pre-dialysis. Now that my life circumstances have changed and kids have gotten older, if I needed to be listed again, I would probably attempt more centers. As it was, I was on the list for 2 1/2 years because of being 99% sensitized. I'd be very interested to hear about other people's experiences.

March 13, 2023
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

I'm so glad it worked out for you & you were blessed with the Gift of Life.

I too would like to hear more about all the issues/barriers/obstacles that patients face when deciding whether or not to list at multiple centers.

I believe post-transplant housing and overall post transplant care in a place other than one's home base could be problematic.

Fyi. There's an interesting Webinar today at 5 PM EST (about post-transplant housing)

March 16, 2023
  • Philipjones17Transplant Patient

When i get placed on the list ill be listed at cedar-sinai and more than likely UCLA .. just have to get trough this heart surgery first

March 20, 2023
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

@Philipjones17 best wishes on your surgery! When are you having it? I’d love to pray for your recovery. ❤️

March 20, 2023
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Philipjones17 - best of luck! Everything will go smoothly.

Btw, what procedure do you need & what's the projected time of recovery?

March 22, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Phillypjones, You are such a positive person your outlook on everything is wonderful. 🙏🏻 all is well with your up coming heart surgery, most of all speedy recovery to u..💚

March 22, 2023
  • Philipjones17Transplant Patient
    March 24, 2023
  • MelsammTransplant Patient

Please let us know how u r doing.

March 24, 2023