Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Swollen legs

KarinExpert
Transplant Patient
Updated March 23, 2023 in Kidney

I wonder why some days are so great and others - not so much? I do the same things, take the same doses of drugs, eat very similarly but today my legs are so very swollen and yesterday they were as slim as ever! Anyone else experiencing variation ? I always seem to feel tired and nauseous the days of being swollen so it has to have to do w my kidney fct?

1 - 8 of 8 Replies

• brookegurradExpert
    Transplant Patient

I've dealt with this over the years. Sometimes it's a deviation in my nutrition or how my body absorbs nutrients. Other times I've noticed it happens when I've put a lot of stress on my body. It's no fun, no matter the reason!

March 23, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Interesting @brookegurrad - Def has to do with kidney fct as mine declined over the past week and my swelling increased! Do you add lasix? Anyone???

March 27, 2023
  • Carla1997Transplant Patient

I haven't had swollen legs however after 2 days at Disney world this past week both feet and ankles were swollen. The only thing I did was prop my legs up on pillows and the next day they were back to normal. This was a scary experience for me since it had never happened but at least I know the reason why and I hope it doesn't happen again.

March 27, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Hi @Carla1997 so happy they got back to normal again! It is scary when they swell - hurts too and for me, my pants didn’t fit so I got worried

April 8, 2023
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

I haven’t experienced swollen legs, but I just wanted to say that I’m sorry you’re experiencing this. I know I feel very overwhelmed when my body is having random symptoms that I don’t understand. I hope they are able to get your swelling under control. And if they are, let us know what’s helped! Because we all might find ourselves in that situation now and again.

April 10, 2023
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

So sorry to hear @Karin . I haven't experienced swelling in the legs from kidney issues, perse. However, over the years (both, pre & post, heart transplant), I've dealt with major fluid retention - all over the body, especially on my legs, including the feet & ankles.

The last time this happenned, I was told to take 80 mg of Lasix for 3 days straight, followed by another 2/3 days of 40 mg. Of course, when there is swelling in the legs it helps to elevate them like @Carla1997 mentioned. In the past, I've had to wear compression stockings too (the ones that go all the way from the feet to the thighs) - not fun!

April 11, 2023
  • TServoldTransplant Patient

I swear I will say to my care team, or my husband, or even my sister that my legs are swollen and they think I am crazy. I can feel it sometimes. Even if its just a little bit of fluid retention I can feel it in my legs. They feel tight and sore. I often wonder what is causing it. I usually chalk it up to more sodium, but the reality is a monitor my sodium intake like a hawk and rarely go over my norm. Sometimes I think maybe its a change in what I was drinking, or even exercise. I usually stand at my desk and I sometimes think that my legs feel more swollen if I was sitting the day prior. Maybe it all in my head, just to make me feel better. So far, it usually clears up quickly, but I do wish I had better answers. Years ago, before even being stage 3 CKD I would get pitting edema really bad. I wore compression stockings all the time. I like the way my legs feel when I wear them.

April 14, 2023
  • AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

This! you just named something I haven't been able to name yet. I never notice swelling, except when I exercise. and it's not any exercise, because I can lift weights and not experience this. Specifically when I do cardio, i'll notice swelling in my feet and my fingers (I only notice it because my rings or my shoes feel tight)

I've always assumed this was a fluid intake thing, or a residual effect of my GSD (the reason I was transplanted)

April 17, 2023