Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Have you ever asked a total stranger for a ....

Sdey0522Expert
Transplant Patient
March 29, 2023 in Kidney

... a kidney (or a portion of the liver), and their selfless act ended up saving your life ? Kindly share your experiences.

All Donors are heroes and Living Donors certainly Rock! There are some wonderful and caring human beings out there, like the Uber driver who ended up donating one of his kidneys to a patient who was on dialysis at the time. I hope that driver always receives 5 star ratings, along with huge tips! 👍

1 - 3 of 3 Other Answers

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

When I was looking for a living donor, my favourite conversation started was “what’s your blood type?”

i don’t know how serious I was, but I would drop the idea that I was looking for a living donor into every conversation

March 29, 2023
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

It was a good plan, @AliEm14 It's very important to have that 'ask' conversation. Therefore, it's always a good idea to have 'your appeal story' rehearsed and ready to go - even when you're in an elevator just for a few minutes.

Also, I'm not a kidney expert by any means, but they say that the conversation shouldn't stop if the blood type doesn't match - there are other options available.

Good luck!

March 29, 2023
  • ShelbycreatesTransplant Patient

I shared my story on Facebook and made it public and many of my friends shared it to their pages of people who I didn’t know.

No strangers that I knew of ended up getting tested from that, but I did get the call for a deceased kidney not even two weeks after that post.

March 29, 2023