Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

Second kidney transplant

amzadTransplant Patient
May 15, 2023 in Kidney

My first transplant failed in just 5 and half years in 2021. Since we are trying for a second transplant. With donor B cell xmatch is positive and also high levels of antibody as reports say. Any friends did such transplant? What outcomes can be expected?

1 - 7 of 7 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

@Shelbycreates @Kouimet do either of you know anything about this?

May 16, 2023
  • KouimetCare Partner

My son was 2 years old when he received a liver and kidney transplant in 2013 from a 22 year old deceased donor. He had a difficult recovery because of the primary disease, his size and significance of his overall health. His transplanted kidney lasted 7 years and he went back on dialysis in 2021 and received his 2nd kidney transplant at age 11 in 2022. He had a routine biopsy six months after his transplant and we discovered he showed minor rejection, but they could not figure what the cause was. We adjusted his medication and biopsied him again 2 months later and he still showed the same level of rejections.

I honestly do not remember the specific details of his biopsy, but I do remember it was not donor specific antibodies. (To be honest, my oldest child had received their kidney transplant just one day before my son received his and they also showed rejection at the 6 month post transplant mark. It was a different donor than my sons donor and the rejection was labeled as 1b rejection- again not donor specific antibodies). Medication for oldest child was changes slightly and 2 months later it was much improved and doing better.

We are still watching both kids closely and they seem to be doing good overall.

Basically, my opinion is every single case is different. Every patient responds differently and it's very unpredictable. Do NOT give up. Do NOT let the challenges get in your way. You will have struggles and set backs and frustrations, but there is nothing you can do about things outside of your control. Focus on what you CAN do and keep pushing on. Make sure you have a good communication with your medical team and an understanding of what your concerns are and how they can be address. Make sure your medical team is capable of handling your care and that you are the biggest part of your medical team.

Educating yourself and being aware of the challenges are very important, but never ever lose your focus on moving forward and keeping hope strong in your heart. Having a positive mindset in the face of hard times is difficult but so important. I wish I had more information or input to help.

May 18, 2023
  • amzadTransplant Patient

Thanks @Kouimet . I wish long and healthy life for both your kids. In bangladesh deceased donor is extremely rare so I got tested with 3 persons. All showed positive DSA. Now moving with DSA requires desensitization. Dr said I will need money, luck, patience. Lets hope for the best.

May 18, 2023
  • Sdey0522Expert
    Transplant Patient

@amzad glad to hear that some people have stepped forward to be tested for you. They are all heroes! 💯 I'm sorry to hear about the DSA situation. However, as you're probably aware, there've been advancements and these days many more things are possible than in days gone by.

I'm a heart recipient of 8+ years, and I don't know too much about kidney transplants - but I'm sending you prayers, positive vibes and lots of good luck so that you're able to get your Gift of Life in Bangladesh. 🙏

Below is some relevant information, which I'm certain that you're familiar with.

Take care and please keep us updated on this forum.

May 18, 2023
  • KarinExpert
    Transplant Patient

Good luck @amzad ! I just did my second kidney transplant 4 weeks ago - I wish you all the best

May 18, 2023

@Sdey0522 Thank you. I wish you long life with your heart transplant. Yes I wish the advanced treatment methods is available for me and overcome this journey.

May 18, 2023

@Karin I hope you are recovering early. God bless you.

May 18, 2023