Kidney — TransplantLyfe

Kidney

🌟 The Time is Now: Protect Living Kidney Donors (H.R. 2923 / S. 1384) 🌟

Sdey0522Expert
Transplant Patient
June 30, 2023 in Kidney

#kidneytransplant #livingdonorssavelives 💙♻️💚🌟 The Time is Now: Protect Living Kidney Donors (H.R. 2923 / S. 1384) 🌟 

As a society, we need to make certain living kidney donors are honored and protected - not penalized or discriminated against for their noble and selfless decision to save a life.

Yet, potential organ donors nationwide still say fear of losing their job or the security provided by life and disability insurance benefits is a MAJOR barrier to donating a kidney. 

Please join the tens of thousands of organ donors, families, and patients to secure Congressional passage of the Living Donor Protection Act (H.R.2923/S.1384). The bill reflects the consensus language of key stakeholders, including patients, organ donors, the insurance industry, transplant professionals, and nephrologists.

This bipartisan bill provides vital protections for living organ donors and would safeguard these generous individuals from discrimination when seeking life insurance, disability insurance or long-term care insurance.

#makeadifferrence #livingdonorsrock #shareyourspare #beadonor #livingdonorprotectionact

💙♻️💚 #giftoflife 💙♻️💚

🌟 Send a message to your U.S. Representative and Senators to put these job and insurance protections permanently into U.S. law – and to end insurance discrimination. We look forward to doing this together with you – for both organ donors and kidney patients! 🌟 

⬇️ 

1 - 2 of 2 Replies

• AliEm14Expert
    Transplant Patient

Reading things like this are baffling to me. As a Canadian, the policies and procedures here seem drastically different. I remember a discussion here not too long ago about if we should be giving our living donors medals of national recognition. There are so many supports here available for those who do decide to become living donors, and from my understanding with my brother's experience in living liver donation a lot of his expenses were paid for or reimbursed by the government. And with universal healthcare, losing coverage or access to healthcare was never something that even crossed anyone's minds.

@Aklowak do you have experiences with this? I know you experienced living kidney donation here in Canada.

Living donors are amazing individuals, and definitely need to be protected and cared for. Thanks for bringing awareness to this important cause in the US, @Sdey0522

June 30, 2023
  • Berriosa1234Transplant Patient

@Sdey0522 Thank you so much for bringing awareness to this. Living donors are Angels and they shouldn't get penalized or ridiculed for openly giving a gift of life to someone. Insurance discrimination is a real thing and if you live here in the US please reach out to your local politicians and make the living donor protection act nationwide.

July 1, 2023